kidzsearch.com > wiki
|The Right Honourable|
|Prime Minister of the United Kingdom|
|Assumed office |
11 May 2010
|Preceded by||Gordon Brown|
|Born|| 9 October 1966|
London, England, United Kingdom
|Spouse(s)|| Samantha Cameron|
|Children||Ivan (deceased), Nancy, Arthur, Florence|
|Religion||Church of England|
David William Donald Cameron MP (born 9 October 1966) is a British politician and the current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, First Lord of the Treasury and Leader of the British Conservative Party.
Early life and career
David Cameron was born in London, and grew up in Peasemore, Berkshire. He went to Eton College, a private school for boys, when he was thirteen. He then studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at the University of Oxford. He worked as a researcher for Carlton TV, and as an adviser for Conservative politicians Norman Lamont and Michael Howard. He first became a Conservative Party Member of Parliament (MP) at the 2001 General Election for the constituency of Witney, after making an unsuccessful attempt to become an MP during the 1997 General Election. He briefly entered the shadow cabinet in 2005, before being elected leader of the Conservative Party in December 2005.
Cameron led the Conservatives through the 2010 general election, where it received the highest share of the vote and more seats than any other party, but did not get enough votes to form a government by themselves. A Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government was formed, and David Cameron became Prime Minister on 11 May 2010. He is Britain's youngest Prime Minister for over 200 years. Since being elected, Cameron's government has declared £6.2 billion worth of cuts to help reduce the budget deficit.
He is married to Samantha Cameron, and they have 3 children. His son Ivan was born with disabilities and died when he was six. Nancy Gwen was born in 2004. His youngest child, Florence, was born on holiday in Cornwall. Because she was born in St. Endellion, they decided to make her middle name Endellion.
He said on Channel 4 News in 2013 that he is a feminist, but some of people think he is lying. Once, he told MP Angela Eagle to "calm down, dear". He said it because she disagreed with what he said earlier. This happened at Prime Minister's Questions in April 2011. It made a lot of people angry.
- "Ancestry of David Cameron". http://www.wargs.com/noble/cameron.html. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "Hall of Fame: David Cameron". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/ps/sites/roughguide/hall_of_fame/pages/david_cameron.shtml. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "David Cameron". Conservatives.com. http://www.conservatives.com/People/David_Cameron.aspx. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "David Cameron MP". BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/representatives/profiles/25752.stm. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "David Cameron MP". Westminster Parliamentary Record. http://www.parliamentaryrecord.com/content/profiles/mp/David-Cameron/Witney/661. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- Reitwiesner, William Addams. "Ancestry of David Cameron". William Addams Reitwiesner Genealogical Services. http://www.wargs.com/noble/cameron.html. Retrieved 2011-04-18.