kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Henry Norris Russell
|Henry Norris Russell|
|Born||October 25, 1877|
Oyster Bay, New York, USA
|Died||February 18, 1957 (aged 79)|
Princeton, New Jersey, USA
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Doctoral advisor||Charles Augustus Young|
Prof Henry Norris Russell ForMemRS HFRSE FRAS (October 25, 1877 – February 18, 1957) was an American astronomer who, along with Ejnar Hertzsprung, helped create the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram (1910). In 1923, working with Frederick Saunders, he developed Russell–Saunders coupling, which is also known as LS coupling. This concerns the way electrons interact in light atoms.
Awards and honors
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1921)
- Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society (1921)
- Lalande Prize (1922)
- Henry Draper Medal from the National Academy of Sciences (1922)
- Bruce Medal (1925)
- Rumford Prize (1925)
- Franklin Medal (1934)
- Janssen Medal from the French Academy of Sciences (1936)
- Foreign Member of the Royal Society (1937)
- Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (1938)
- Henry Norris Russell Lectureship (1946)
- asteroid 1762 Russell
- Henry Norris Russell at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Stratton, F.J. M. (1957). "Henry Norris Russell 1877-1957". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 3: 173–191. .
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter R". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. http://www.amacad.org/publications/BookofMembers/ChapterR.pdf. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Winners of the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society". Royal Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 25 May 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110525064844/http://www.ras.org.uk/awards-and-grants/awards/268. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Henry Draper Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130126003930/http://www.nasonline.org/about-nas/awards/henry-draper-medal.html. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Past Winners of the Catherine Wolfe Bruce Gold Medal". Astronomical Society of the Pacific. http://astrosociety.org/membership/awards/pastbruce.html. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Past Recipients of the Rumford Prize". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. http://www.amacad.org/about/rumford.aspx. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Grants, Prizes and Awards". American Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 22 December 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101222143439/http://www.aas.org/grants/awards.php#russell. Retrieved 19 February 2011.