kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Invertebrate is a kind of animal that does not have a spinal column or backbone. It is the opposite of vertebrate, that means if an animal is not a vertebrate (fish, reptile, amphibian, bird, or mammal), it is an invertebrate.
The main phyla (groups) of invertebrate animals are:
- Annelida: segmented worms
- Arthropods: (arachnids, crustaceans, insects, and others);
- Brachiopods: the lamp-shells.
- Bryozoa: sea mats or moss animals (sometimes they look like corals)
- Cnidarians: jellyfish, sea anemones, hydroids.
- Echinoderms: starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers
- Molluscs: (gastropods, cephalopods, bivalves and others);
- Nematoda: roundworms
- Porifera: sponges
- Platyhelminthes: flatworms
- Rotifers: tiny "wheel animals", which live in habitats such as pond water.
There are 18 more groups of invertebrates, mostly minor: see List of animal phyla.