kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|7th Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation|
September 4, 2013 – May 9, 2017
|Preceded by||Robert Mueller|
|Succeeded by||Andrew McCabe (Acting)|
|United States Deputy Attorney General|
December 9, 2003 – August 15, 2005
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Larry Thompson|
|Succeeded by||Robert McCallum, Jr. (Acting)|
|United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York|
January 7, 2002 – December 15, 2003
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Mary Jo White|
|Succeeded by||David N. Kelley|
James Brien Comey, Jr.
December 14, 1960
Yonkers, New York, U.S.
|Political party||Republican (formerly)|
|Education||College of William and Mary (BA)|
University of Chicago (JD)
James Brien "Jim" Comey, Jr. (born December 14, 1960) is an American lawyer. He was the 7th Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) from September 4, 2013 until May 9, 2017 when he was fired by President Donald Trump.
Comey was the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York from January 2002 to December 2003, and later, the United States Deputy Attorney General, from December 2003 to August 2005. As Deputy Attorney General, Comey was the second-highest-ranking official in the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), and ran its day-to-day operations.
Comey was born in Yonkers, New York. He grew up in Allendale, New Jersey. He graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1982, majoring in chemistry and religion and later from the University of Chicago with a Juris Doctor.
Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (2013–2017)
Investigation on Hillary Clinton and 2016 election
Comey was responsible for overseeing the FBI's investigation of the Hillary Clinton email controversy. His role in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, particularly with regard to his public communications, was highly controversial. His decisions have been regarded by many analysts, including Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight, to have likely cost Clinton the election.
Comey was fired by President Donald Trump on May 9, 2017 reportedly days after Comey asked increased funding from the Justice Department for the FBI's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections. The Justice Department called the New York Times report that Comey asked for more funding "totally false". In a statement by the White House, they released a statement saying that "removing Comey will help bring the Russia investigation to end" quickly and rapidly, and that it would be ended soon.
- Comey, James. Hillary Clinton Email Investigation. Retrieved on July 7, 2016. Event occurs at 01:43:06. “I have been registered Republican for most of my adult life. Not registered any longer.”
- "Himes Congratulates Westport’s James Comey as New FBI Director". Congressman Jim Himes website. July 31, 2013. https://himes.house.gov/press-release/himes-statement-confirmation-james-comey-fbi. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- Silver, Nate (May 3, 2017). "The Comey Letter Probably Cost Clinton The Election". https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-comey-letter-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/.
- "4 pieces of evidence showing FBI Director James Comey cost Clinton the election". https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/1/11/14215930/comey-email-election-clinton-campaign.
- McLean, Bethany. "The True Story of the Comey Letter Debacle". http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/james-comey-fbi-director-letter.
- Karl, Jonathan; Keneally, Meghan; Fishel, Justin (May 9, 2017). "FBI Director Comey fired amid Russia probe". ABC News. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fbi-director-james-comey-fired/story?id=47309009. Retrieved May 11, 2017.
- "Justice Department denies report Comey requested more funding for Russia probe". http://www.roanoke.com/washingtonpost/uncategorized/justice-department-denies-report-comey-requested-more-funding-for-russia/article_26697e47-78d9-5448-bfcb-935970310855.html. Retrieved May 11, 2017.
- Wang, Christine. "Comey reportedly asked for more resources for Russia probe; DOJ calls reports 'totally false'". CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/10/comey-reportedly-asked-for-more-money-for-russia-probe-doj-calls-reports-totally-false.html. Retrieved May 11, 2017.
- Producer, Kevin Liptak, CNN White House. "White House: Removing Comey will help bring Russia investigation to end". http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/politics/comey-fbi-investigation-russia-sarah-huckabee-sanders/index.html.
- Neill Caldwell, Next FBI director is a United Methodist, United Methodist News Service (July 31, 2013).
- Profile, northjersey.com; accessed October 5, 2014.
- Profile, irishcentral.com; accessed October 5, 2014.
- "james-comey-fbi", politico.com, 2013/05.
- Department of Justice Farewell Address
- James B. Comey – White House Biography
- Comey Appearances on C-SPAN
- James B. Comey Professional Biography, United States Department of Justice
- Transcript of James Comey's testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, May 15, 2007
- "Intelligence Under the Law", a speech delivered by James Comey to the National Security Agency on Law Day, May 20, 2005
- "Corporate Counsel article - "Attention Must Be Paid"". January 1, 2008. http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1198058690626.
- Profile on Columbia Law School