kidzsearch.com > wiki
Marian Shields Robinson
Marian Lois Shields
July 30, 1937
|Known for||U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama's mother|
|Office||First Grandma of the United States|
|Spouse(s)||Fraser C. Robinson III (1935–1991, m. 1960)|
|Children||Craig Malcolm Robinson (b. 1962)|
Michelle Robinson Obama (b. 1964)
|Parent(s)||Purnell Nathaniel Shields|
|Relatives||Barack Obama (son-in-law)|
Malia and Sasha Obama (granddaughters)
Marian Lois Robinson (née Shields; July 30, 1937) is the mother of Michelle Obama and mother-in-law of President Barack Obama. She is the only living grandparent of Malia and Sasha Obama. She also has one granddaughter, Leslie Robinson, and two grandsons, Avery and Austin Robinson, from her son, Craig Robinson.
According to her youngest brother Steve Shields, Robinson was the fourth of seven children—five girls, followed by two boys. Her father was a house painter and her mother was a licensed practical nurse.
Robinson married Fraser Robinson on October 27, 1960. She is now a widow. In addition to their daughter Michelle, they also had a son, Craig. Craig is the current coach of the Oregon State University men's basketball team. Robinson was formerly a secretary for mail-order retailer Spiegel and at a bank. While Michelle and Barack Obama campaigned in 2008, Robinson cared for her granddaughters. Early in January 2009, it was reported that Robinson would move into the White House with the rest of the First Family (the president's family), so that she could continue to care for her granddaughters. She was the first grandmother to live in the White House since Elivera M. Doud during the Eisenhower administration. Some news agencies have called Robinson the "First Granny."
- Skiba, Katherine (March 8, 2010). First grandma keeps low profile. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-08/news/ct-met-first-grandma-0309-20100308_1_sasha-and-malia-marian-robinson-white-house. Retrieved July 24, 2010.
- LoBello, Lia (July 2, 2008). "First Families: Radar introduces you to the next president's relatives". Radar. Archived from the original on January 23, 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090123152110/http://www.radaronline.com/features/2008/07/john_mccain_barack_obama_michelle_cindy_dunham_roberta_wrigh_04.php. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- Saslow, Eli (February 1, 2009). From the Second City, An Extended First Family. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/31/AR2009013101876.html?sid=ST2009013102074. Retrieved July 24, 2010.
- Swarns, Rachel L. (January 9, 2009). Obama’s Mother-in-Law to Move Into the White House. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/obamas-mother-in-law-to-move-into-the-white-house/?hp. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- Sherwell, Philip (January 14, 2009). Michelle Obama persuades First Granny to join new White House team. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3407525/Michelle-Obama-persuades-First-Granny-to-join-new-White-House-team.html. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- Will Obama mum-in-law make it a family affair in the White House?. Agence France Presse. November 22, 2008. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gN_i2jrCVkJQgfMbSDRRrNk8U4Sw. Retrieved January 9, 2009.