kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Mons is a town in Belgium and the capital of the Province of Hainaut. It is the fourth largest city of the Walloon part of Belgium where French is spoken. The town's name takes its roots from the Latin word mons which means mountain. In 2015, the city becomes the European Capital of Culture for the calendar year.
In 2007, 91,196 people lived there.
It is at 50° 27 North, 03° 56 East.
People born in Mons
- Gilles Binchois, composer (15th century, birth in Mons is uncertain)
- Orlande de Lassus, composer (16th century)
- Guido de Bres, theologian (1522 to 31 May 1567)
- Giuseppe Grisoni, painter and sculptor (17th century)
- François-Joseph Fétis, musicologist, composer, critic, and teacher (18th century)
- François-Philippe de Haussy, first governor of the National Bank of Belgium (18th century)
- Paul Émile de Puydt, botanist, economist, and writer (19th century)
- Émile Motte, painter (19th century)
- France: Briare
- France: Thoissey
- France: Vannes
- United Kingdom: Sefton
- China: Changsha
- United States: Little Rock, Arkansas