kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Old Town, Edinburgh
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
The Old Town seen from Princes Street
|Location||Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Part of||Old and New Towns of Edinburgh|
|Inscription||1995 (19th Session)|
The streets are not officially called The Royal Mile in terms of legal addresses. The actual street names (running west to east) are Castlehill, Lawnmarket, High Street, Canongate and Abbey Strand.
Notable buildings in the Old Town include St. Giles' Cathedral, the General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland, the National Museum of Scotland, the Old College of the University of Edinburgh and the Scottish Parliament Building. The area is known to have underground vaults and hidden passages that are relics of old phases of construction.
In addition to the Royal Mile, the Old Town may be divided into various areas from west to east:
- West Port, the old route to the west
- Grassmarket, the area to the south-west
- Edinburgh Castle
- The Cowgate, the lower southern section of the town 
- Canongate, the whole eastern district
- Holyrood, it includes Holyrood Palace and Holyrood Abbey
- Croft-An-Righ, a group of buildings north-east of Holyrood
In 1824, a major fire known as Great Fire of Edinburgh, destroyed most of the buildings on the south side of the High Street. During the Edinburgh International Festival, the High Street and Hunter Square become gathering points. Performers in the Fringe advertise their shows, often through street performances.
On 7 December 2002, the Cowgate fire destroyed a small but dense group of old buildings on the Cowgate and South Bridge. It destroyed the famous comedy club, The Gilded Balloon. Other areas affected were the Informatics Department of the University of Edinburgh. The vast artificial intelligence library was also damaged. The site was redeveloped 2013-2014. There now stands a single new building which largely used as a hotel.
- "Edinburgh-World Heritage Site". VisitScotland. http://www.edinburgh.org/about/about-edinburgh/world-heritage-site. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Marshall, Gary, (Writer of All about Edinburgh) (2015), All about Edinburgh. The Royal Mile, Edinburgh : Castlehill, Lawnmarket, High Street, Canongate, Abbey Strand, Horse Wynd, Edinburgh G.L.G. Publishing,
- "Lost Edinburgh: A brief tour of Castlehill" (in en). https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/lost-edinburgh-brief-tour-castlehill-1519138.
- "Edinburgh revamp.(Scotland)(Cowgate site)(Brief Article)", Building Design (UBM Information Ltd) (1639): 7(1), 2004-08-27,
- at 09:36, Tim Richardson 12 Dec 2002. "Fire guts Edinburgh's AI library". https://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/12/12/fire_guts_edinburghs_ai_library/.