kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Pope Benedict XII
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Papacy began||December 20, 1334|
|Papacy ended||April 25, 1342|
|Predecessor||Pope John XXII|
|Successor||Pope Clement IV|
|Birth name||Jacques Fourier|
c. 1280s |
April 25, 1342 |
He was the third of the seven popes who lived in Avignon in France.
Pope Benedict was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Benedict XII," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-3.
- Note on ordinal numbering: Popes Benedict XI–XVI are really the 10th–15th popes with that name. This is because Benedict X is now parsed as an antipope; but during the reign of Benedict XI, this was not recognized. The "true" or actual eleventh pope Benedict identified himself with the ordinal number XII. In other words, the numbering of popes after the 10th Benedict needs to be explained -- compare Popes Boniface VIII–IX.
- "Pope Benedict XII". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Benedict XII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Fourier
| Succeeded by|