kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
President of Egypt
|President of the|
Arab Republic of Egypt
|Residence||Heliopolis Palace, Cairo, Egypt|
|Term length||Four years|
|Inaugural holder||Muhammad Naguib|
18 June 1953
|Salary||E£900,000 (approx. US$47,000) annually|
The President of the Arab Republic of Egypt (Arabic: رئيس جمهورية مصر العربية ) is the head of state of Egypt. Under the president is also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces and head of the executive branch of the Egyptian government. The current president is Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, in office since 8 June 2014.
2005/2007 constitutional amendments
In 2005 and 2007, constitutional amendments were made. Principles in the amended constitution include:
- The election of the president of the republic by direct secret ballot from among all citizens who have the right to vote.
- Ensuring that multiple candidates be put forward for the people to choose from.
- Ensuring the credibility of the nomination process.
- Providing the opportunity for political parties to put forward one of their leaders to contest the first presidential elections to be held in light of the amendment.
- The establishment of a presidential election commission that would enjoy complete independence to supervise the election process.
- Carrying out the election in a single day.
- Ensuring judicial supervision over the voting process.
Candidates must have the recommendation of 20 members of the House of Representatives or the endorsement of 25,000 people across 15 governorates, with at least 1,000 signatures from each.
The president of the republic may be re-elected once. The constitution specifies the number of terms a president shall remain in office to be limited to two terms.
Living former Presidents
There are no living former presidents. The latest to die was Hosni Mubarak, who served from 1981 to 2011, on 25 February 2020, aged 91.
|Elected||Term of office||Political party|
|Took office||Left office||Time in office|
Republic of Egypt
(18 June 1953
22 February 1958)
|—||18 June 1953||14 November 1954
|1 year, 149 days||Military / Liberation Rally|
|—||Revolutionary Command Council
Chairman: Colonel Gamal Abdel Nasser
|—||14 November 1954||23 June 1956||1 year, 222 days||Military|
|2||Gamal Abdel Nasser
جمال عبد الناصر
|23 June 1956||28 September 1970
|14 years, 97 days||rowspan="2" style="background:Template:National Union (United Arab Republic)/meta/color" ||| National Union|
United Arab Republic
(22 February 1958
2 September 1971)
|style="background:Template:Arab Socialist Union (Egypt)/meta/color" |||Arab Socialist Union|
|3|| Anwar Sadat
|28 September 1970 (Acting)
15 October 1970
|6 October 1981
|11 years, 8 days||style="background:Template:Arab Socialist Union (Egypt)/meta/color" ||| Arab Socialist Union|
Arab Republic of Egypt
|style="background:Template:National Democratic Party (Egypt)/meta/color" |||National Democratic Party|
|—|| Sufi Abu Taleb
صوفى أبو طالب
|Acting President||6 October 1981||14 October 1981||0 years, 8 days||style="background:Template:National Democratic Party (Egypt)/meta/color" |||National Democratic Party|
|4|| Hosni Mubarak
|14 October 1981||11 February 2011
|29 years, 120 days||style="background:Template:National Democratic Party (Egypt)/meta/color" |||National Democratic Party|
|—|| Supreme Council of the Armed Forces
Chairman: Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi
محمد حسين طنطاوي
|—||11 February 2011||30 June 2012||1 year, 140 days||Military|
|5|| Mohamed Morsi
|2012||30 June 2012||3 July 2013
|1 year, 3 days||style="background:Template:Freedom and Justice Party (Egypt)/meta/color" |||Freedom and Justice Party|
|—|| Adly Mansour
|Interim President||4 July 2013||8 June 2014||0 years, 339 days||Independent|
|6|| Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
عبد الفتاح السيسى
|8 June 2014||IncumbentInvalid
refs with no name must have content
|Template:Age in years and days nts||Military|
- Wahab, Abdel (2013-12-01). "President to receive legal maximum wage". The Cairo Post. http://thecairopost.youm7.com/news/46668/news/president-receive-legal-maximum-wage. Retrieved 2014-01-19.