kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Robert Todd Lincoln
Robert Todd Lincoln (August 1, 1843 – July 26, 1926) was an American lawyer and Secretary of War. He was the first son of President Abraham Lincoln and his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln. Born in Springfield, Illinois, United States, he was the only one of Lincoln's four sons to live to be an adult. He was a bright lawyer, and mostly served railroad interests. He was (1897–1911) president of the Pullman Company. He was quiet and shy. Because of this, he never tried to be a president, but he was minister to Great Britain (1889–93). Most of his last 20 years were spent at Hildene, his estate near Manchester, Vermont.
Lincoln did not have a very close relationship with his father. This was partly because Abraham Lincoln often spent months away from home. Robert would later say his clearest memory of his father was when he was packing for a trip to Illinois. Abraham Lincoln was proud of Robert. He thought Robert was clever. Though they were not close, Robert respected and loved his father. He wept openly at his deathbed.
Following his father's assassination, in April 1865, Robert Lincoln moved with his mother and his brother Tad to Chicago, where Robert completed his law studies at the Old University of Chicago (a school different from but later assumed by the university presently known by that name). He was admitted to the bar on February 25, 1867.
On September 24, 1868, Robert Lincoln married Mary Eunice Harlan (September 25, 1846 – March 31, 1937). They had two daughters and one son. The last person who was directly related to Lincoln was Robert's grandson "Bud" Beckwith. He died in 1985. 
- Donald, David Herbert (1995). Lincoln. New York : Touchstone. p. 159. .
- Donald, 599
- "Robert Todd Lincoln witness to three presidential assassinations". http://www.helium.com/items/922422-robert-todd-lincoln-witness-to-three-presidential-assassinations.
- "Robert Lincoln". rogerjnorton.com. http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln66.html. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- Mark E. Neely, Jr., , ., 1982 ISBN 0-07-046145-7.
- Neely, Mark E. Jr (1982). The Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia. New York : McGraw-Hill Book Co. .
- Robert Todd Lincoln[[Category:People from Springfield, Illinoi