kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew *|
View of the Palm House at Kew Gardens
|Country||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|Criteria||ii, iii, iv|
|Region **||Europe and North America|
|Inscription||2003 (27th Session)|
At Kew, teams of scientists have important roles in science and plant research.
Early work on the gardens started in the 17th century when King Henry VII built Richmond Lodge in the area.Kew
The land was a private royal garden until the Victorian era. In 1840, the Royal Botanic Garden was established.
The gardens expanded in the 19th century.
Japanese garden at Kew in Spring
- UNESCO, "Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew"; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- Royal Botanic Gardens (Kew). About World Heritage Status; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- 16th & 17th Centuries: Royal Influences"; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- Kew, "Questions in Parliament 1837-1840"; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- Kew, "1841 - 1885: The expansion of the Royal Botanic Gardens"; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- Kew, "Unification and expansion of the Gardens"; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew website
- Millennium Seed Bank Project
- Images and some highlights of Kew
- BBC, Marianne North collection of plant paintings