kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Founded||1 March 1938|
Daegu, South Korea
|Lee Kun-hee (Chairman)|
Lee Jae-yong (Vice-Chairman)
|Products||Apparel, chemicals, consumer electronics, electronic components, medical equipment, semiconductors, solid state drives, DRAM, ships, telecommunications equipment, home appliances|
|Services||Advertising, construction, entertainment, financial services, hospitality, information and communications technology, medical and health care services, retail, shipbuilding|
|Revenue||US$305 billion (2014)|
|US$22.1 billion (2014)|
|Total assets||US$529.5 billion (2014)|
|Total equity||US$231.2 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
Samsung C&T Corporation
Samsung Heavy Industries
Samsung Life Insurance
Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance
Samsung Group is a South Korean multinational conglomerate headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul. It comprises numerous affiliated businesses, most of them united under the Samsung brand, and is the largest South Korean chaebol (business conglomerate). Samsung is a large worldwide company based in Seoul. Samsung means "three stars" in Korean.
Samsung was founded by Lee Byung-chul in 1938 as a trading company. Over the next three decades, the group diversified into areas including food processing, textiles, insurance, securities and retail. Samsung entered the electronics industry in the late 1960s and the construction and shipbuilding industries in the mid-1970s; these areas would drive its subsequent growth. Following Lee's death in 1987, Samsung was separated into four business groups – Samsung Group, Shinsegae Group, CJ Group and Hansol Group. Since 1990, Samsung has increasingly globalised its activities and electronics; in particular, its mobile phones and semiconductors have become its most important source of income.
Notable Samsung industrial affiliates include Samsung Electronics (the world's 2nd largest information technology company measured by 2015 revenues, and 5th in market value), Samsung Heavy Industries (the world's 2nd largest shipbuilder measured by 2010 revenues), and Samsung Engineering and Samsung C&T (respectively the world's 13th and 36th largest construction companies). Other notable subsidiaries include Samsung Life Insurance (the world's 14th largest life insurance company), Samsung Everland (operator of Everland Resort, the oldest theme park in South Korea) and Cheil Worldwide (the world's 15th largest advertising agency measured by 2012 revenues).
Samsung has a powerful influence on South Korea's economic development, politics, media and culture and has been a major driving force behind the "Miracle on the Han River". Its affiliate companies produce around a fifth of South Korea's total exports. Samsung's revenue was equal to 17% of South Korea's $1,082 billion GDP.
Samsung has many different businesses. It makes mobile phones, cameras and other electronics. 'Samsung Electronics' who sell Samsung Galaxy products. Samsung is the best known South Korean brand in the world.
In December 2018 the company announced a launch of new 5G smartphone, which took place in 2019.
History of logos (gallery)
- "Home and Kitchen Appliance showcase - Samsung". http://www.samsung.com/us/showcase/smart-home-appliance-washer-dryer-and-refrigerators/.
- "Samsung Financial Highlights". Samsung Group. http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/samsung_group/our_performance/. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "삼성계열사 전자 - 삼성그룹 홈페이지". Archived from the original on 20 September 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160920104601/http://samsung.co.kr/about/affiliate.do.
- "Bangladesh and development: The path through the fields". The Economist. 3 November 2012. https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21565617-bangladesh-has-dysfunctional-politics-and-stunted-private-sector-yet-it-has-been-surprisingly. Retrieved 2 October 2013. "Samsung now has around 80 companies and is the world’s largest information-technology firm.".
- Park, Kyunghee (28 July 2009). July 29 (Bloomberg) – Samsung Heavy Shares Gain on Shell's Platform Orders (Update1). Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aO0FeeTB6_0Y. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "The Top 225 International Contractors 2013". Enr.construction.com. http://enr.construction.com/toplists/InternationalContractors/001-100.asp. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Global 500 2009: Industry: - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com. Money.cnn.com. 20 July 2009. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2009/industries/183/index.html. Retrieved 4 September 2010.
- Valhouli, Christina (21 March 2002). The World's Best Amusement Parks. Forbes.com. https://www.forbes.com/2002/03/21/0321feat_6.html. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Cheil Worldwide Inc (030000:Korea SE)". businessweek.com. Archived from the original on 5 October 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20121005152815/http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=030000:KS. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Cheil Worldwide (030000 KS)". kdbdw.com. 26 April 2010. http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/download/162067.pdf?attachmentId=162067. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Samsung and its attractions – Asia's new model company. The Economist. 1 October 2011. http://www.economist.com/node/21530984. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- South Korea's economy – What do you do when you reach the top?. The Economist. 12 November 2011. http://www.economist.com/node/21538104. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Hutson, Graham; Richards, Jonathan (17 April 2008). "Samsung chairman charged with tax evasion – Times Online". The Times (London). http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3764352.ece. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Shell, Glencore, and Other Multinationals Dominate Their Home Economies 4 April 2013 BusinessWeek
- "Samsung will release a 5G phone in 2019" (in en-US). TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/03/samsung-will-release-a-5g-phone-in-2019/. Retrieved 2018-12-04.
- "한국 10대 그룹 이름과 로고의 의미". www.koreadaily.com. 10 July 2006. http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?page=1&branch=NEWS&source=&category=economy.business&art_id=1042338. Retrieved 19 September 2010.