kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Santa Cruz, California
Location in Santa Cruz County and the state of California
|Mission||September 25, 1791|
|Incorporated||March 31, 1866|
|• Mayor||David Terrazas|
|• State senator||Bill Monning (D)|
|• Assemblymember||Mark Stone (D)|
|• United States representatives||Anna Eshoo (D) and Jimmy Panetta (D)|
|• City||15.83 sq mi (41.00 km2)|
|• Land||12.74 sq mi (33.00 km2)|
|• Water||3.09 sq mi (8.00 km2) 19.51%|
|• Urban||58.4 sq mi (151.1 km2)|
|• Metro||607 sq mi (1,570 km2)|
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||5,060.05/sq mi (1,953.65/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−8 (Pacific)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1659596, 2411820|
Santa Cruz, California is a city north of Monterey Bay. Santa Cruz is about 100 miles (60 km) south of San Francisco. Santa Cruz was first settled by Ohlone Indians, Native American hunter-gatherers. Santa Cruz was colonized in the mid-1700s by the Spanish. They created a mission, (Mission Santa Cruz). The Spanish forced the Ohlones in the mission. Their populations began to decline because of diseases and overworking.
Americans first arrived in Santa Cruz in the 19th century. They were immigrants from Italy, China and Portugal. Around the same time, forestry and commercial fishing were the first industries. There were also diary farming and leather production. Santa Cruz is most famous for their university. The University of California, Santa Cruz was built in the 1960s. The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake had a major effect in Santa Cruz. It killed five people.
The industries that are present in Santa Cruz are agriculture, tourism and high technology. The climate in Santa Cruz is Mediterranean. This means that they have mild summers because of fog. Winters are usually rainy; however, the city has dealt with many droughts.
- Yenne, Bill (2004). The Missions of California. Thunder Bay Press, San Diego, California. p. 112. .
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date" (Word). California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Archived from the original on February 21, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130221091414/http://www.calafco.org/docs/Cities_by_incorp_date.doc. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "A Guide to Your City Government". City of Santa Cruz. http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/home/showdocument?id=38844. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- David Terrazas. Santa Cruz can’t do it on its own. Santa Cruz Sentinel. http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/opinion/20171220/david-terrazas-santa-cruz-cant-do-it-on-its-own. Retrieved December 20, 2017. "David Terrazas is the new mayor of Santa Cruz as of this month.".
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. http://statewidedatabase.org/gis/gis2011/index_2011.html. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Communities of Interest – City". California Citizens Redistricting Commission. http://wedrawthelines.ca.gov/downloads/meeting_handouts_072011/handouts_20110729_q2_cd_finaldraft_splits.zip. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. https://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/2016_Gazetteer/2016_gaz_place_06.txt. Retrieved Jun 28, 2017.
- "Santa Cruz". United States Geological Survey. https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:1659596.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/PEP/2013/PEPANNRES/1620000US0669112. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "Census Urban Area List". United States Census Bureau. https://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/reference/ua/ua_list_all.txt. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/DEC/10_DP/DPDP1/320M100US0642100. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "ZIP Code(tm) Lookup". United States Postal Service. https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Santa Cruz City official site
- Santa Cruz Wiki – The People's Guide to Santa Cruz, California
- Via Riva Trigoso Sister City street
- Pogonip Open Space Preserve
- Santa Cruz Chamber of Commerce
- Santa Cruz at the Open Directory Project