kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Native Scots Pine at Glenmuick, Scotland.|
| Pinus sylvestris|
Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) is a species of pine native to Europe and Asia. It ranges from Scotland, Ireland and Portugal in the west, east to eastern Siberia, south to the Caucasus Mountains, and as far north as well inside the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia.
In the north of its range, it occurs from sea level to 1,000 m, while in the south of its range it is a high altitude mountain tree, growing at 1,200–2,600 m altitude.
- Conifer Specialist Group (1998). Pinus sylvestris. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN 2006. Retrieved on 12 May 2006.
- Farjon A. 2005. Pines drawings and descriptions of the genus Pinus 2nd ed, Brill. ISBN 90-04-13916-8
- Gymnosperm database: Pinus sylvestris
- Trees for life: Species profile: Scots pine
- Mirov N.T. 1967. The genus Pinus. Ronald Press.