kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Metro||Greater St. Louis|
|• Type||Council-manager government|
|• Mayor||Francis G. Slay (D)|
|• Independent City||66.2 sq mi (171.3 km2)|
|• Land||61.9 sq mi (160.4 km2)|
|• Water||4.2 sq mi (11.0 km2)|
|Elevation||466 ft (142 m)|
|• Independent City||354,361 (July, 2,008)|
|• Density||5,724.7/sq mi (2,209.2/km2)|
|• Metro||2,820,816 (July, 2,008)|
Saint Louis is a large and important city in the American state of Missouri. It is by the Mississippi River. It was founded by the French and named after King Louis IX of France, who is also a Saint. It is often called the "Gateway City" because it was important to settlers traveling out west. Its most famous landmark is the Gateway Arch.
Professional sports teams in St. Louis are:
- "Visiting the Gateway to The West". Globosapians. http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/St.+Louis-698.html. Retrieved 2008-05-15.
- St. Louis Public Library on "Mound City".
- STLtoday.com on "The Lou".
- "St. Louis City, Missouri - Population Finder - American FactFinder". U.S. Geological Survey. 1980-10-24. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=106:3:3712217792123411::NO::P3_FID:765765. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
- Population Drops in St. Louis, St. Louis Post-Dispatch (July 1, 2009)