kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Major League Soccer
|Major League Soccer|
|Country||United States and Canada|
|Number of teams||20|
|Domestic cup|| U.S. Open Cup|
|Current champions|| Supporters Shield: Seattle Sounders FC|
MLS Cup: LA Galaxy (2014)
|Most successful club|| Cups: LA Galaxy (5)|
Shields: D.C. United, LA Galaxy (4 each)
Major League Soccer (MLS) is an American soccer league that started in 1996. As of the next season in 2015, there will be 20 teams in the league. Two of these teams will be playing their first season in 2015. Two more teams will be added in 2017, and one other team will enter once it builds a new stadium. The commissioner of the league (the person in charge) is Don Garber.
MLS, founded in the United States, is a fully professional league with 20 teams, three of which are based in Canada, and is the top soccer league in both countries. Referees are approved by the United States Soccer Federation and Canadian Soccer Association, which run the sport in the two countries. In turn, U.S. Soccer and the CSA are members of FIFA, which governs all play between national teams and sets the rules for the sport along with the national governing bodies of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.
MLS was formed in 1993 as a professional league, with play starting with 10 teams in 1996. The MLS regular season starts in late March and ends in October, with each team playing 34 games. The regular season is followed by a 10-team playoff tournament to decide the league champion.
- Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew
- Chicago Fire
- D.C. United
- F.C. Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Los Angeles Galaxy
- Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution
- New York City F.C. – new for 2015
- New York Red Bulls
- Orlando City S.C. – new for 2015
- Philadelphia Union
- Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake
- San Jose Earthquakes
- Seattle Sounders F.C.
- Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto F.C.
- Vancouver Whitecaps
- Atlanta MLS team – will start play in 2017
- Los Angeles Football Club – will start play in 2017. This team will replace Chivas USA, which the league folded at the end of the 2014 season. "Los Angeles Football Club" is only a working name for this team.
- Miami MLS team – Owned in part by former England star David Beckham, the team plans to begin play in 2017 or later, once it can build a new stadium in Miami.
MLS Cup Winners
|1996||D.C. United||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|1997||D.C. United||Colorado Rapids|
|1998||Chicago Fire||DC United|
|1999||D.C. United||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2000||Kansas City Wizards||Chicago Fire|
|2001||San Jose Earthquakes||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2002||Los Angeles Galaxy||New England Revolution|
|2003||San Jose Earthquakes||Chicago Fire|
|2004||D.C. United||Kansas City Wizards|
|2005||Los Angeles Galaxy||New England Revolution|
|2006||Houston Dynamo||New England Revolution|
|2007||Houston Dynamo||New England Revolution|
|2008||Columbus Crew||New York Red Bulls|
|2009||Real Salt Lake||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2010||Colorado Rapids||FC Dallas|
|2011||Los Angeles Galaxy||Houston Dynamo|
|2012||Los Angeles Galaxy||Houston Dynamo|
|2013||Sporting Kansas City||Real Salt Lake|
|2014||Los Angeles Galaxy||New England Revolution|
- Best Players in Major league Soccer (MLS) in 2012. hub, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2012.
- Major League Soccer. Princeton, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2012.
- An Overview of American Soccer History. Dave Litterer, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2012.
- Soccer Politics / The Politics of Football. Duke University, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2012.