kidzsearch.com > wiki
|23rd United States Secretary of Health and Human Services|
February 10, 2017 – September 29, 2017
|Preceded by||Sylvia Mathews Burwell|
|Succeeded by||Don J. Wright (Acting)|
|Chair of the House Budget Committee|
January 3, 2015 – January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Paul Ryan|
|Succeeded by||Diane Black (Acting)|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Georgia's 6th district
January 3, 2005 – February 10, 2017
|Preceded by||Johnny Isakson|
|Member of the Georgia Senate|
from the 56th district
January 3, 1997 – January 3, 2005
|Preceded by||Sallie Newbill|
|Succeeded by||Dan Moody|
Thomas Edmunds Price
October 8, 1954
Lansing, Michigan, U.S.
|Education||University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (BA, MD)|
Thomas Edmunds "Tom" Price (born October 8, 1954) is an American physician and politician. He is the 23rd United States Secretary of Health and Human Services serving from February 10, 2017 to September 29, 2017.
Price was U.S. Representative for GA's 6th congressional district, serving from 2005 through 2017. He is a member of the Republican Party. He formerly served as chairman of the Republican Study Committee and the Republican Policy Committee.
United States representative (2005–2017)
United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (2017)
On February 1, 2017, the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee approved his nomination by a vote of 11-0 with all Democrats boycotting the vote, sending the nomination to the Senate floor. On February 10, the Senate confirmed Price in an 52-47 vote.
In March 2017, Price endorsed the American Health Care Act, a bill proposed by House Republicans that would repeal the individual mandate and make several other major changes to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
In a series of reports in September 2017, Politico reported that since May 2017, Price had expended more than $1 million of Department funds for his own travel on private charter jets and military aircraft. Many of the flights were between cities that are easily accessible by train or car and have frequent, low-cost commercial airline service.
On September 29, 2017, Price resigned, becoming the shortest tenured Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Lillis, Mike (February 19, 2011). "GOP policy leader Price: 'More cuts and more reforms are on the way'". The Hill. http://thehill.com/homenews/house/145261-gop-policy-leader-price-more-cuts-and-more-reforms-are-on-the-way.
- Harper, Charlie (November 18, 2010). "Tom Price Elected Chairman Of House Republican Policy Committee". Peach Pundit. http://www.peachpundit.com/2010/11/18/tom-price-elected-chairman-of-house-republican-policy-committee/.
- "Budget Committee Members". House of Representatives Committee on the Budget. http://budget.house.gov/about/budgetcommitteemembers.htm. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Trump picks Congressman Tom Price as health and human services secretary". https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/11/28/trump-picks-congressman-tom-price-as-health-and-human-services-secretary/. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- Lee, M. J. (1 February 2017). "Republicans suspend committee rules, advance Mnuchin, Price nominations". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/politics/republicans-vote-to-suspend-committee-rules-advance-mnuchin-price-nominations/. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- CNN, Lauren Fox and Deirdre Walsh. "Republicans unveil bill to repeal Obamacare". http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/06/politics/republicans-public-obamacare-plan/index.html.
- Pradhan, Rachana; Diamond, Dan. "Price took military jets to Europe, Asia for over $500K". POLITICO. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/28/tom-price-military-jets-europe-asia-hhs-243276. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- Pradhan, Rachana; Diamond, Dan (September 21, 2017). Price traveled by private plane at least 24 times. Politico. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/21/tom-price-private-charter-plane-flights-242989. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- Producer, Kevin Liptak, CNN White House. "Price out as HHS secretary after private plane scandal". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/politics/tom-price-resigns/index.html?adkey=bn. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- Joan Frawley Desmondy (January 20, 2017). Tom Price, Trump’s Pick for HHS Secretary, Could Define Administration’s Legacy. National Catholic Register. http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/tom-price-trumps-pick-for-hhs-secretary-could-define-administrations-legacy.
- Congressman Tom Price official House site
- Tom Price at the Open Directory Project
- Price Appearances on C-SPAN