kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Toy Story 4
|Toy Story 4|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Josh Cooley|
|Music by||Randy Newman|
|Editing by||Axel Geddes|
Walt Disney Studios|
|Release date(s)||June 11, 2019(El Capitan Theatre) |
June 21, 2019 (United States)
|Running time||100 minutes|
Toy Story 4 is a 2019 American computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures as the fourth installment in Pixar's Toy Story series, and the sequel to 2010's Toy Story 3. It is directed by Josh Cooley (in his feature directorial debut) from a screenplay by Andrew Stanton (who had co-written the first three films) and Stephany Folsom; the three also conceived the story alongside John Lasseter (director of the first two installments in the franchise), Rashida Jones, Will McCormack, Valerie LaPointe, and Martin Hynes. The film stars the voices of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Annie Potts, Tony Hale, Keegan-Michael Key, Jordan Peele, Madeleine McGraw, Christina Hendricks, Keanu Reeves, Ally Maki, Jay Hernandez, Lori Alan, and Joan Cusack.
The film continues from Toy Story 3, where Sheriff Woody and Buzz Lightyear, among their other toy friends, have found new appreciation after being given by Andy to Bonnie. They are introduced to Forky, a spork that has been made into a toy and embark on a road trip adventure. The film is dedicated to Don Rickles and animator Adam Burke, who died in 2017 and 2018, respectively.
In a flashback to nine years ago (between the events of the previous two films) R.C. is being swept down a storm drain. Woody and the other toys mount a successful rescue operation, but while they are busy, a mysterious man buys Bo Peep; despite Woody's efforts to prevent the sale, Bo reassures him that it is part of being a toy to be taken away.
Two years after Andy donated his toys to Bonnie, Woody and the other toys are content in their new life. Worried that Bonnie will feel overwhelmed at her kindergarten orientation, Woody—who Bonnie has been neglecting—sneaks into her backpack, and his fears come to light as Bonnie becomes shy around her new classmates. Woody covertly places a spork and other items from a trash can on Bonnie's table during arts and crafts, and she turns them into a handmade toy-spork she names "Forky". After Bonnie places Forky in her backpack, he comes to life, much to Woody's shock.
After Woody introduces him to the rest of Bonnie's toys, Forky experiences an existential crisis, believing that he was made to be trash and not a toy, and the other toys prevent him from throwing himself away. On a road trip with Bonnie’s family and her toys, Forky—still believing himself to be trash—jumps out of the window, prompting Woody to go after him. Woody convinces Forky of the joys of being a toy, and they journey to the RV park at a nearby town where Bonnie and her parents will be staying.
Reaching the town, Woody spots Bo's lamp at an Antique Store. Searching for Bo inside, he and Forky encounter a doll named Gabby Gabby and her sycophant puppets, the Bensons. Gabby Gabby offers to take them to Bo, but soon reveals her true plan to obtain Woody's voice box, since her own is broken and no child will purchase her. When Bonnie and her parents enter the store, Woody and Forky try to escape, but Forky is captured by Gabby Gabby. By the time Woody escapes the shop, Bonnie's RV has left without him, and he realizes that he has left Forky behind. Woody reunites with Bo, who has become a nomad adventurer helping lost toys find owners. With Bo's companion, a miniature cop named Giggles McDimples, they take a route through a nearby carnival to rescue Forky from the antique store.
Meanwhile, Buzz searches for Woody on his own, seeking guidance in the button-induced phrases from his own voice box. Buzz finds himself as a prize in a carnival booth and escapes with plush toys Ducky and Bunny. Buzz finds Woody and Bo, and they recruit Ducky and Bunny to help rescue Forky, promising that they will become Bonnie's toys, along with Bo's old friend from the antique store, Duke Caboom, a Canadian stuntman toy.
At the antique store, the toys' plan to rescue Forky fails. Woody, the only toy still determined to save Forky, has a falling out with the other toys, and indirectly insults Bo. As Bo, Duke, Giggles, Ducky, and Bunny return to the carnival, Woody gives up his voice box to Gabby Gabby in exchange for Forky. Gabby Gabby is desperate to be adopted by Margaret (the store owner's granddaughter), Harmony, but Harmony is creeped out by Gabby Gabby's new voice and rejects her. Buzz returns to Bonnie's RV and cries out to retrieve Bonnie's backpack, which she left at the antique store. Woody comforts Gabby Gabby, and Bo and her gang return after a change of heart.
After Bonnie returns for her backpack, the toys follow her and her parents. Through Duke's motorcycle skills, Buzz and Forky make it back to Bonnie, who is overjoyed to have Forky back. Taking Woody's advice, Gabby Gabby sees a little girl crying and gives her comfort, and is finally adopted. As Woody and Bo say goodbye, Woody becomes hesitant in returning with Bonnie. With some encouragement from Buzz, Woody decides to stay with Bo and help lost toys find owners. Buzz and the gang give Woody and Bo a goodbye hug and the two groups go their separate ways.
In the mid-credits scenes after Woody and Bo travelling with the carnival, one year has passed and Bonnie has entered first-grade. Jessie brings home a new friend Bonnie created: Knifey, a decorated plastic knife. Instantly smitten, Forky offers to shepherd her in her journey through life as a toy instead of trash. When her first question is "Why am I alive?", he is stumped.
- Tom Hanks as Woody
- Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear
- Annie Potts as Bo Peep
- Tony Hale as Forky
- Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele as Ducky and Bunny respectively
- Madeleine McGraw as Bonnie
- Christina Hendricks as Gabby Gabby
- Keanu Reeves as Duke Caboom
- Ally Maki as Giggle McDimples
- Jay Hernandez as Bonnie's dad
- Lori Alan as Bonnie's mom
- Joan Cusack as Jessie
- Bonnie Hunt as Dolly
- Kristen Schaal as Trixie
- Emily Davis as Billy, Goat and Gruff
- Wallace Shawn as Rex
- John Ratzenberger as Hamm
- Blake Clark as Slinky Dog
- June Squibb as Margaret the Store Owner
- Carl Weathers as Combat Carl
- Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head[a]
- Estelle Harris as Mrs. Potato Head
- Jeff Garlin as Buttercup
- Timothy Dalton as Mr. Pricklepants
- Jodi Benson as Barbie
- Jeff Pidgeon as Aliens
- John Morris and Jack McGraw as young and teenage versions of Andy
- Laurie Metcalf as Andy's mom
- Mel Brooks as Melephant Brooks
- Carol Burnett as Chairol Burnett
- Betty White as Bitey White
- Carl Reiner as Carl Reineroceros
Additionally, Alan Oppenheimer, Patricia Arquette, Bill Hader, Flea, and Melissa Villaseñor voice cameos in the film. Rickey Henderson cameos as the voice of an Oakland Athletics bobblehead figure.
Randy Newman, who composed and wrote songs for the previous three films, was confirmed to be returning at D23 Expo 2015. Director Josh Cooley said that he hired Newman to return because "[he] can't imagine making a fourth one without Randy Newman"."Press Kit" (in en). http://www.wdsmediafile.com/media/ToyStory4/writen-material/ToyStory45cf9fd63b9daa.pdf.</ref> Newman wrote new themes for Bonnie, Gabby Gabby, and Duke Caboom, with the latter's featuring accordions and mandolins to represent the character's memories of rejection. He also wrote a "subordinate theme" for Forky. Newman also wrote two new songs for the film, titled "The Ballad of the Lonesome Cowboy" and "I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away", with Newman also performing the latter. On June 5, 2019, Chris Stapleton's version of "Cowboy" was released as a single. The film's soundtrack, featuring Newman's score, Stapleton's and Newman's versions of the two new songs, and a new version of Newman's "You've Got a Friend in Me", will be released on June 21, 2019, with the film.
On an episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Tom Hanks claimed that the film would be the final film in the series. He stated to Ellen DeGeneres that Tim Allen had "warned him about the emotional final goodbye between their characters Woody and Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story 4." However, Mark Nielsen didn't rule out a possibility of a fifth film, stating, "Every film we make, we treat it like it's the first and the last film we're ever going to make, so you force yourself to make it hold up. You don't get in over your skis. Whether there's another one? I don't know. If there is, it's tomorrow's problem."
A 10-episode short-form series, Forky Asks a Question, will debut exclusively on the Disney+ streaming service upon its launch on November 12, 2019. A short film titled Lamp Life, which will reveal Bo Peep's whereabouts between leaving and reuniting with Woody, will be released on Disney+ later in its first year.
- Rickles, who died in early 2017, appears through the use of previously-recorded material.
- "Official Teaser". Disney/Pixar/YouTube. November 12, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXYRzerjzU. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- Giardina, Carolyn (May 13, 2019). "'Toy Story 4': Rashida Jones, John Lasseter Among 8 Who Will Share "Story By" Credits". The Hollywood Reporter. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/toy-story-4-rashida-jones-john-lasseter-8-who-will-share-story-by-credits-1209677?u. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- Cross, Dominick (February 26, 2016). "Newman on Putin, people, politics, music". The Advertiser. http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2016/02/26/newman-putin-people-politics-music/80954782/.
- "TOY STORY 4". https://bbfc.co.uk/releases/toy-story-4-2019. Retrieved June 13, 2019.
- Ridgley, Charles (January 28, 2019). "'Toy Story 4': Bo Peep Officially Returns in New Teaser". Comicbook.com. https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/01/28/toy-story-4-teaser-bo-peep-return/. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- "Toy Story 4 Teaser Trailer Introduces New Non-Toy Character". https://www.slashfilm.com/toy-story-4-teaser-trailer/.
- "'Toy Story 4' Teaser Trailer Introduces New Toy Forky" (in en-US). November 12, 2018. Archived from the original on November 12, 2018. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/toy-story-4-teaser-trailer-new-character-forky-joins-toys-1160313.
- Skrebels, Joe (November 13, 2018). "Toy Story 4: New trailer introduces Ducky and Bunny, played by Key and Peele". https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/13/toy-story-4-new-teaser-introduces-ducky-bunny-played-by-key-peele.
- Neilan, Dan (November 13, 2018). "Key and Peele reprise one of their best bits in this new Toy Story 4 clip". The A.V. Club. https://news.avclub.com/key-and-peele-reprise-one-of-their-best-bits-in-this-ne-1830410355. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- Amanda, N'Duke (March 22, 2019). "‘Toy Story 4’: ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ Actress Madeleine McGraw Voices Key Character In Disney/Pixar Sequel". Deadline. https://deadline.com/2019/03/toy-story-4-madeleine-mcgraw-disney-pixar-movie-1202581180/. Retrieved March 22, 2019.
- "Meet the New 'Toy Story 4' Characters Voiced by Keanu Reeves, Christina Hendricks & Ally Maki". March 19, 2019. https://www.slashfilm.com/new-toy-story-4-cast-members-and-characters/.
- Boucher, Geoff (November 22, 2018). "Tim Allen: ‘Toy Story 4’ Cast Includes Keanu Reeves". Deadline. https://deadline.com/2018/11/tim-allen-toy-story-4-cast-includes-keanu-reeves-1202508084/. Retrieved November 22, 2018.
- Ridgley, Charlie (March 19, 2019). "'Toy Story 4': Disney Confirms Keanu Reeves' Role". Comicbook.com. https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/03/19/toy-story-4-keanu-reeves-duke-caboom-confirmed-disney-pixar/. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (November 12, 2018). "‘Toy Story 4’ Teaser Trailer Spotlights New Character". https://variety.com/2018/film/news/first-toy-story-4-trailer-forky-1203026005/. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- Pasquini, Maria (November 12, 2018). "Toy Story 4: The Gang's All Back in First Trailer — Plus a Mysterious New Character!". https://people.com/movies/toy-story-4-first-trailer/. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- Wakeman, Gregory (August 17, 2015). "Toy Story 4 Is Definitely Bringing Back at Least One Fan Favorite". CinemaBlend. Archived from the original on July 28, 2016. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Toy-Story-4-Definitely-Bringing-Back-Least-One-Fan-Favorite-77727.html.
- Schaffstall, Katherine (November 12, 2018). "'Toy Story 4' Teaser Trailer Introduces New Toy Forky". https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/toy-story-4-teaser-trailer-new-character-forky-joins-toys-1160313. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- "From 'Toy Story' to 'Incredibles 2': Every Pixar Character Voiced by John Ratzenberger". http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/06/17/toy-story-incredibles-2-john-ratzenberger-pixar-voice-roles/.
- Simon Brew (April 10, 2018). "Toy Story 4 confirmed for summer 2019". http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/toy-story-4/37803/toy-story-4-s-original-writers-on-why-they-quit/page/0/1. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Heller, Corinne (March 28, 2019). "Toy Story 4 Will Still Include the Late Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head: Here's How". https://www.eonline.com/news/1027718/toy-story-4-will-still-include-the-late-don-rickles-as-mr-potato-head-here-s-how. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- Judy Greenlees (May 13, 2018). "Where is the Cast of "Penny Dreadful" Today?". https://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/penny-dreadful-cast-today. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Fuller, Becky (September 28, 2018). "Toy Story 4: Every Update You Need To Know". https://screenrant.com/toy-story-4-2019-trailer-story-cast-news/. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- CooleyUrFaceOff (May 24, 2019). "I'd be crying too, Maddy and Jack are incredible actors. All you McGraw children are so talented. Whatever your parents are feeding you is working. Please ask your mom to adopt me." (Tweet). https://twitter.com/CooleyUrFaceOff/status/1132124488659718144.
- Post, Pixar (January 24, 2016). "Andy's Mom to Return in 'Toy Story 4'". PixarPost.com. Archived from the original on July 27, 2016. http://www.pixarpost.com/2016/01/andys-mom-toy-story-4.html.
- Truitt, Brian (June 3, 2019). "'Toy Story 4' exclusive: Check out the four comedy legends joining Woody, Buzz and the gang". USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/06/03/toy-story-4-exclusive-look-whos-joining-woodys-gang/1299634001/. Retrieved June 3, 2019.
- Hartlaub, Peter (May 3, 2019). "‘Toy Story 4’ will feature Rickey Henderson, as an Oakland A’s bobblehead". San Francisco Chronicle. https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/toy-story-4-will-feature-rickey-henderson-as-an-oakland-as-bobblehead. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "D23: Pixar Previews 'Finding Dory' and 'Toy Story 4'". https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/d23-pixar-previews-finding-dory-815593.
- Aniftos, Rania. "Chris Stapleton's 'The Ballad of the Lonesome Cowboy' Off the 'Toy Story 4' Soundtrack Is Here: Listen" (in en). https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8514728/chris-stapleton-the-ballad-of-the-lonesome-cowboy-toy-story-4.
- "Tim Allen Warned Tom Hanks About the Emotional Ending of 'Toy Story 4'". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34d6jg4W0Rc. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "Pixar Not Ruling Out Toy Story 5". https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/05/26/toy-story-4-end-disney-pixar-not-ruling-out-toy-story-5/. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- White, James (June 12, 2019). "Pixar Creating Forky-Focused Short Films For Disney". Empire. https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/pixar-creating-forky-focused-short-films-disney/. Retrieved June 17, 2019.