kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1460s 1470s 1480s – 1490s – 1500s 1510s 1520s|
|Years:||1495 1496 1497 – 1498 – 1499 1500 1501|
- Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama visits Quelimane and Moçambique in southeastern Africa.
- May 20 – Vasco da Gama arrives at Calicut (now Kozhikode), India, becoming the first European to get there by sailing around Africa.
- May 23 – Girolamo Savonarola, ruler of Florence, is executed for criticizing the Pope.
- July 31 – On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- Christopher Columbus lands on the South American continent.
- The Portuguese sail up to the coasts of modern Tanzania and Kenya.
- John Cabot leaves port on an expedition, never to be seen again.