kidzsearch.com > wiki
2008 Mumbai attacks
|The Mumbai attacks of November 2008|
Locations of some of the attacks
|Date|| 26 November 2008 |
Shortly before 10pm local time (IST, UTC +5:30)
|Attack type||Bombings, shootings, hostages|
|Weapon(s)||RDX, AK-47s,and grenades|
|Suspected perpetrator(s)||Controversial; unknown group Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility.|
|Location||Type of attack|
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station||Shootings, grenades.|
|South Mumbai Police Headquarters||Shootings|
|Leopold Café, Colaba||Shootings.|
|Taj Mahal Palace & Tower hotel||Shootings, six explosions, fire on top floor, hostages, the explosive material, RDX or Cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, found nearby.|
|Oberoi Trident hotel||Shootings, explosions, hostages, fire. Operated by Oberoi Hotels & Resorts|
|Mazagaon docks||Explosion, boat with armaments seized.|
|Cama Hospital||Shootings, hostages.|
|Mumbai Chabad House (Nariman House)||Siege, shootings, hostages.|
|Vile Parle suburb, North Mumbai||Car bomb blast.|
|Girgaum Chowpatty||2 terrorists were shot.|
|Tardeo||2 terrorists were arrested.[source?]|
|Metro movie theater||Shooting from hijacked police jeep.|
Around fifty to sixty terrorists took part in the attacks. They looked young, in their early twenties, and wore T-shirts, black shirts, and jeans. The Guardian has said that they seemed "cool and composed" and "in no hurry".
Police officers who rescued hostages at the Chabad House were surprised that the terrorists looked "white" and either non-Indian or from the country's far north. The terrorists had planned the attack several months before. They set up "control rooms" in the two luxury hotels that were targeted.
A previously unknown group, the Deccan Mujahideen, claimed responsibility. They sent emails to news organizations. The New York Times has stated that international security experts "drew a blank on" the Deccan Mujahideen group, with one analyst labeling it a "front name". In September, the Indian Mujahideen had warned of future attacks. Their message said that "you are already on our hit-list and this time very, very seriously."
According to a witness, the gunmen were looking for American and British passport holders and left others alone, such as a man claiming to be Italian. At the same time, The Independent has reported that "the attackers were young South Asian men speaking Hindi or Urdu suggesting they are probably members of an Indian militant group rather than foreigners".
- "Commandos tackle besieged Mumbai hotels". 27 November 2008. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/27/india.attacks/index.html. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- India terrorist attacks leave at least 78 dead in Mumbai
- "Terror attacks in Mumbai; six foreigners among 101 dead". Times of India. 27 November 2008. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Terrorists_strike_Mumbai_80_dead_many_hurt/articleshow/3761410.cms. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- "At least 104 dead in Mumbai; 7 people escorted from hotel". 27 November 2008. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-11-26-india-shooting_N.htm?csp=34. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- "Scores killed in Mumbai rampage". CNN.com. 26 November 2008. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/26/india.attacks/index.html. Retrieved 26 November 2008.
- AFP (agency) (1 December 2008). "Mumbai death toll revised down". Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/mumbai-death-toll-revised-down/2008/12/01/1227979875093.html.
- "Indian Mujahideen threatens to target Mumbai". India Today. http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&issueid=71&task=view&id=15328§ionid=4&Itemid=1.
- Multiple attacks kill and wound scores in Mumbai. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- Scores killed in Mumbai attacks
- Mumbai terror kills 65
- Encounter on at Nariman House in South Mumbai
- TERROR TAKES OVER MUMBAI. The Statesman.
- Mumbai Hit: Two terrorists shot dead
- "India under attack". The Economist. http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12708194. Retrieved November 27, 2008.
- "Is al-Qaida behind the Mumbai terror attacks?". Haaretz. 2008-11-27. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1041684.html. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Cowell, Alan; Souad Mekhennet (2007-11-27). "Sophisticated attacks, but by whom?". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/world/asia/28group.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Mumbai attackers looked for foreign passport holders
- Who could be behind the Mumbai attacks? Reported 27 November 2008. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Grenade and machine gun attacks in Mumbai, India|
- Multiple Terror Attacks in Mumbai
- Major recent bomb attacks in India - more
- Photo of alleged terrorist captured by cctv camera at CST railway station
- Pictures of attacks from BBC
- Pictures by reporter Vinukumar Ranganathan