kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
39th G8 summit
|Core G8 members|
Host nation and leader are indicated in bold text.
|Canada||Stephen Harper||Prime Minister|
|Italy||Enrico Letta||Prime Minister|
|Japan||Shinzo Abe||Prime Minister|
|United Kingdom||David Cameron||Prime Minister|
|United States||Barack Obama||President|
|European Commission||Jose Manuel Barroso||President|
|European Council||Herman Van Rompuy||President|
A number of national leaders are traditionally invited to attend the summit. They are asked to participate in some, but not all, G8 summit activities.
Schedule and agenda
The summit meetings are intended as a way to resolve differences among the G8 members.
Discussions at the 39th G8 summit will include some issues which remain unresolved from previous summits.
The G8 discussions will be about a range of topics, including
Protesters and demonstrations
Because of the nature of the summit, protest groups and other activists usually attend. The planning for the summit includes how to deal with these groups.
Britain's leading aid groups and charities are planning a "propaganda offensive" which hopes to affect the food-dominated agenda for the G8.
- "Queen's speech 2012," Guardian (UK). 9 May 2012; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- US Dept. of State, About the G8; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- G20/G8 France 2011, What is G8? ("Previous summits" section); retrieved 2012-5-21
- G20-G8 France 2011, What is G8? ("Language" section); retrieved 2012-5-21.
- US Dept. of State, G8 Frequently Asked Questions ("How does the G8 work?" section); retrieved 2012-5-21.
- Rieffel, Lex. "Regional Voices in Global Governance: Looking to 2010 (Part IV)," Brookings. March 27, 2009; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Reinalda, Bob and Bertjan Verbeek. (1998). Autonomous Policy Making by International Organizations, p. 205.
- UPI, "Italy Knocked for Alleged poor G8 Planning", July 7, 2009; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Wintour, Patrick. "David Cameron plans to downgrade G8 summit," Guardian (UK). 28 June 2010; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Traynot, Ian et al. "G8 at Camp David: what the world wants to achieve," Guardian (UK). 17 May 2012; WhiteHouse.gov, "Wrapping Up the G8 Summit at Camp David";retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Elliott, Larry. "Make Poverty History 2 to launch in 2013," Guardian (UK). 22 April 2012; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Balde, Lisa and Phil Rogers. "Adbusters Wants 50,000 G8/NATO Protesters in Chicago," NBCChicago (US), 27 January 2012; retrieved 2012-5-20.
38th G8 summit
|39th G8 summit
| Succeeded by|
40th G8 summit