kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Motto: Bogotá, 2600 metros más cerca de las estrellas|
Bogotá, 2600 meters closer to the stars
|Foundation||6 August 1538 (traditional)|
|Founded by||Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada|
|• Mayor||Gustavo Petro Urrego|
|• Capital District||1,587 km2 (613 sq mi)|
|• Urban||307.36 km2 (118.67 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,625 m (8,612 ft)|
|• Capital District||7,674,366|
|• Density||4,835.8/km2 (12,525/sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||+57 1|
|HDI (2011)||0.904 very high|
Bogota is the capital (city) of Colombia. In 2009 more than 7 million people live in Bogota which is the largest city in Colombia. It is about 2,640 meters above sea level, on top a plateau (a mountain with a flat top). This makes it the third highest capital in the world. With many universities and libraries, Bogotá has become known as "The Athens of South America".The weather is usually nice during the day and cool at night. It has a series of bike paths (trails that are made for bikes) that wind through the city. It has many recreational and amusement parks open to the public. Samuel Moreno was elected mayor of Bogota on October 29, 2007. He assumed his office on January 1, 2008.
Bogota was founded back in 1538 by Gonzalo Jimenes de Quezada, a Spanish conqueror. Bogota has had extremely awful moments. In 1948, a presidential candidate, Jorge Eliécer Gaitán, was murdered while doing a speech in front of hundreds of persons. This tragic moment brought with it terrible consequences: one of the most remembered one is the "Bogotazo". The "Bogotazo" started as a political party war, the blue party, self named the "conservatives", began to hunt and kill every single member of the red party, the "liberals". Such a sadistic event had not been seen in the history of Colombia since the independence war of this very country. Seeing this terrible unfair situation, the remaining blue party members decided to create the "Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia" (FARC); however, this group was ironically created to protect the oppressed people from their oppressors. Nowadays, this group is known as terrorists and murderers;nevertheless, Colombia's capital city, Bogota, has not being attacked in the last few years.
- Henderson, James D.; Delpar, Helen; Brungardt, Maurice Philip; Richard N. Weldon (2000). A reference guide to Latin American history. M.E. Sharpe. p. 61. . http://books.google.com/books?id=e2F7c0wW7g4C&pg=PA61. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "Bogotá una ciudad Andina" (in Spanish). la Alcaldía Mayor de Bogotá.. http://www.bogota.gov.co/portel/libreria/php/01.270701.html. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "DANE". http://www.dane.gov.co/daneweb_V09/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=72. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Elevation of major cities". 2747.com. 2008. http://www.2747.com/2747/world/city/elevation.htm. Retrieved 29 December 2008.
- ""Athens of South America"". Revista. http://www.javeriana.edu.co/pensar/Prof-Dr-Rinc%F3n.pdf. Retrieved 2010-07-15.