kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Briarcliff Manor, New York
|Briarcliff Manor, New York|
Clockwise from top: the Village Center; village pool at Law Memorial Park; Briarcliff High School; Briarcliff Manor Public Library; village clock and Municipal Building.
|Official name: Village of Briarcliff Manor|
|Named for: The Irish family home "Brier Cliff"|
|Motto: A village between two rivers|
|Municipality||Mount Pleasant and Ossining|
|Parts||Chilmark and Scarborough|
|Landmark||Briarcliff Manor Village Library|
|Elevation||351 ft (107 m)|
|Highest point||1200 ft Southwest of NGS station mark LX4016, off Farm Road|
|- elevation||533 ft (162 m)|
|Lowest point||Sea level (at the Hudson River)|
|- elevation||0 ft (0 m)|
|Area||6.7 sq mi (17 km²)|
|- land||5.9 sq mi (15 km²)|
|- water||0.8 sq mi (2 km²)|
|Density||1,200 /sq mi (463 /km²)|
|Government||Briarcliff Manor Village Hall|
|- location||1111 Pleasantville Road|
|Mayor||William J. Vescio (People's Caucus)|
|Timezone||North American Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||969912, 2391558|
Location of Briarcliff Manor within Westchester County and the county within New York.
|Wikimedia Commons: Briarcliff Manor, New York|
Briarcliff Manor // is a village in Westchester County, New York. The village is less than 30 miles (48 km) north of New York City. It is shared between the towns of Mount Pleasant and Ossining, and its ZIP code is 10510. The village is on the east bank of the Hudson River, and includes the communities of Scarborough and Chilmark.
The village motto is "A village between two rivers", because of Briarcliff Manor's location between the Hudson and Pocantico Rivers. Briarcliff Manor was founded by Walter William Law in 1902, and has grown from 331 people then to 7,867 in 2010.
The area was known as Whitson's Corners until Walter Law developed the village during the 1890s. A part of the village, including buildings and homes covering 376 acres (152 ha), is part of the Scarborough Historic District and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Briarcliff Manor celebrated its centennial on November 21, 2002.
- Midge Bosak, ed. (1977). A Village Between Two Rivers: Briarcliff Manor. Monarch Publishing, Inc..
- Cheever, Mary (1990). The Changing Landscape: A History of Briarcliff Manor-Scarborough. West Kennebunk, Maine: Phoenix Publishing. . .
- Cheever, Mary (1990). The Changing Landscape: A History of Briarcliff Manor-Scarborough. West Kennebunk, Maine: Phoenix Publishing. For further information on the history of Briarcliff Manor.
- Pattison, Robert (1939). A History of Briarcliff Manor. William Rayburn. For further information on village history and life.
- Sharman, Karen (1996). Glory in Glass: A Celebration of The Briarcliff Congregational Church. For more information on the Briarcliff Congregational Church and Walter Law.
- Yasinsac, Robert (2004). Images of America: Briarcliff Lodge. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing. For details about the Briarcliff Lodge and its history.
- Official website for the Village of Briarcliff Manor
- Briarcliff Manor, New York at the Open Directory Project
- Geographic date related to Briarcliff Manor, New York at OpenStreetMap