kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Mayor||Mike Duggan (D)|
|• City Council|
|• City||143.0 sq mi (370 km2)|
|• Land||138.8 sq mi (359 km2)|
|• Water||4.2 sq mi (11 km2)|
|• Urban||1,295 sq mi (3,350 km2)|
|• Metro||3,913 sq mi (10,130 km2)|
|Elevation||600 ft (200 m)|
|• Rank||18th in U.S.|
|• Density||5,142/sq mi (1,985/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1617959|
|Major airport||Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)|
Detroit is the largest city in the state of Michigan in the United States. In 1950, Detroit was the fifth largest city in the United States, with 1.8 million people. It was the 10th largest city in the United States at the time of the 2000 census. As of 2004, it fell to 11th biggest as people have moved away, and San Jose, California, which is growing, moved to 10th. The Population of Detroit was 700,000 in the 2010s decade. Nearly six million people live in Detroit and the surrounding counties that encompass Metro Detroit. The city borders Windsor, Ontario in Canada. The international border between Detroit and Windsor is one of the most crossed in the world.
Detroit is a city where many automobiles are made and this is why it is sometimes called the "Motor City", or "Motown". Many people call it the car capital of the world. General Motors, Ford and Chrysler have their offices and many of their plants in and around Detroit.
- "Detroit". United States Geological Survey. https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:1617959. .
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places over 100,000, Ranked by July 1, 2009 Population: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009". U.S. Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2009-01.csv. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population of Combined Statistical Areas: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009". U.S. Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-annual.html. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Detroit: Bankruptcy or bust". The Economist. 2013-11-15. http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2013/11/detroit. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130718/METRO01/307180103#ixzz2ZQqjpHYO The Detroit News
- "Racially-Based Suppression of the African-American Vote | FindLaw" (in en-US). http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20041029.html.