kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Country||United States of America|
|• Mayor||Dave Bing (D)|
|• City Council|
|• City||143.0 sq mi (370 km2)|
|• Land||138.8 sq mi (359 km2)|
|• Water||4.2 sq mi (11 km2)|
|• Urban||1,295 sq mi (3,350 km2)|
|• Metro||3,913 sq mi (10,130 km2)|
|Elevation||600 ft (200 m)|
|• Rank||18th in U.S.|
|• Density||5,142/sq mi (1,985/km2)|
Detroit is the largest city in the state of Michigan in the United States. It was the 10th largest city in the United States at the time of the 2000 census. As of 2004, it fell to 11th biggest as people have moved away, and San Jose, California, which is growing, moved to 10th. The city of Detroit has a population of 912,062 as of 2008. Nearly six million people live in Detroit and the surrounding counties that encompass Metro Detroit. The city borders Windsor, Ontario in Canada. The border between Detroit and Windsor is one of the most crossed in the world.
It was made a city in 1701. From 1805 to 1847, Detroit was the capital of Michigan.
Detroit is a city where many automobiles are made and this is why it is sometimes called the "Motor City". Many people call it the car capital of the world. General Motors, Ford and Chrysler have their offices and many of their plants in and around Detroit.
In 2006, the Super Bowl came to Detroit. Detroit is home to one of the largest black communities in the United States, being over 91% African-American. Violent crime rate is one of the highest in the USA.
- "Detroit". Geographic Names Information System. U.S. Geological Survey. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:1617959. Retrieved 2009-07-27..
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places over 100,000, Ranked by July 1, 2009 Population: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009". U.S. Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2009-01.csv. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population of Combined Statistical Areas: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009". U.S. Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-annual.html. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Racially-Based Suppression of the African-American Vote:". http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20041029.html. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130718/METRO01/307180103#ixzz2ZQqjpHYO The Detroit News
- "Detroit: Bankruptcy or bust". The Economist. 2013-11-15. http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2013/11/detroit. Retrieved 2013-11-20.