kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Famine is a situation where most people do not have enough food to eat. Without food, the human body grows weaker and weaker until the person becomes very sick or dies. See malnutrition. In poor countries with much subsistence farming such as in parts of Africa and Latin America, famine can be common.
- 1816, the Year without a Summer was caused by Mount Tambora erupting. Tens of thousands died.
- The Irish Potato Famine lasted from 1846 to 1849. It was caused by a potato blight.
- In the Holodomor, about 7 million of people starved to death in the Ukraine in 1932 and 1933.
- The Great Leap Forward killed a few tens of millions of Chinese, in what was probably the biggest famine in history.
- Famine Early Warning System monitors agricultural production and other warning signs worldwide
- United Nations World Food Programme Hunger relief against poverty and famine
- International Food Policy Research Institute Sustainable solutions for ending hunger
- In Depth: Africa's Food Crisis, BBC News