kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Republic of Fiji
and largest city
|Ethnic groups |
|Government||Unitary parliamentary constitutional republic|
• from the United Kingdom
|10 October 1970|
|7 October 1987|
|18,274 km2 (7,056 sq mi) (151st)|
• Water (%)
• 2016 estimate
• 2017 census
|46.4/km2 (120.2/sq mi) (148th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2017 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2017 estimate|
• Per capita
|HDI (2015)|| 0.736|
high · 91st
|Currency||Fijian dollar (FJD)|
|Time zone||UTC+12 (FJT)|
• Summer (DST)
|ISO 3166 code||FJ|
Fiji is a small country in the Pacific Ocean. It has 322 islands. The most important islands are Vanua Levu and Viti Levu. The capital city of Fiji is Suva, and the city with the most people is Nadi. There are about 844,330 people in Fiji. The official languages of Fiji are Fijian, English and Hindustani (a mix of Hindi and Urdu). Fiji is part of the Pacific Rim. About 313000 speak Fiji Hindi.
Fiji has many forest, mineral, and fish resources.
Divisions and provinces
Fiji is divided into Four Major Divisions:
These divisions are divided into 14 provinces:
Fijian law defines "towns" as urbanized areas incorporated as municipal bodies, governed by Town Councils.
The following localities are urbanized, but have not been municipally organized.
Fiji has a lot of tourism and many people go to the Nadi and Denarau islands. Most visitors are from Australia, New Zealand and the USA. Fiji has many soft coral reefs. Scuba diving is a common tourist activity. More budget resorts are being opened in remote areas, which provides more tourism opportunities.
- Although Suva is the largest population center that is classified as a "city", the town of Nasinu has a population that is slightly higher than Suva's. See "Age, Sex and Marital Status by Urban and Rural Enumeration, Fiji 2007". Fiji Bureau of Statistics. http://www.statsfiji.gov.fj/component/advlisting/?view=download&format=raw&fileId=1138.
- "Fiji". CIA. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/fj.html. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Population by Religion and Province of Enumeration". Fiji Bureau of Statistics. June 2012. Archived from the original on 9 September 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150909212947/http://www.statsfiji.gov.fj/index.php/document-library/doc_download/426-population-by-religion-province. Retrieved 7 November 2015. – Percentages are derived from total population figures provided in the source
- "World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision" (custom data acquired via website). United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. https://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/DataQuery/.
- Fiji Bureau of Statistics (5 January 2018). "2017 Population and Housing Census – Release 1". Census 2017. http://www.statsfiji.gov.fj/census. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Fiji". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2017/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=26&pr.y=14&sy=2017&ey=2019&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=819&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=.
- "Gini Index". World Bank. https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.GINI?locations=FJ. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "2016 Human Development Report". United Nations Development Programme. 2016. http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/2016_human_development_report.pdf. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "Fiji Reignites Daylight Saving Time on November 29". timeanddate.com. 10 November 2009. http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/fiji-advances-clocks-nov-29.html. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "FJST – Fiji Summer Time". timeanddate.com. http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/pacific/fjst.html. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Constitution of the Republic of Fiji". The Fijian Government. http://www.fiji.gov.fj/Govt--Publications/Constitution.aspx. Retrieved 14 March 2017. Subsection 3(3) reads: "This Constitution is to be adopted in the English language and translations in the iTaukei and Hindi languages are to be made available." Subsection 31(3) clarifies that Fiji Hindi is the intended meaning of "Hindi".
- "Fiji: History". infoplease.com. 2005. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107509.html. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Tourism Fiji : A Social, Political and Environmental Case Study". tamu.edu. 2007. http://ertr.tamu.edu/attachments/178_a-5-3-3.pdf. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Fiji Travel Information and Travel Guide. Lonely Planet. Retrieved April 2010. Archived 2009-11-08 at WebCite
- "Arrivals information" Bureau of Statistics.