kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Republic of Fiji
Matanitu ko Viti
|Motto: Rerevaka na Kalou ka Doka na Tui
Fear God and honour the Queen
God Bless Fiji
and largest city
|Government||Military Appointed Government and Parliamentary Republic|
|-||Prime Minister||Frank Bainimarama|
|-||from the United Kingdom||10 October 1970|
|-||Republic||28 September 1987|
|-||Total||18,274 km2 (155th)
7,056 sq mi
|-||2009 estimate||849,000 (156th)|
|-||2007 census||837,271 people|
|GDP (PPP)||2010 estimate|
|GDP (nominal)||2010 estimate|
|HDI (2010)|| 0.669
medium · 86th
|Currency||Fijian dollar (
|Time zone||+11 (UTC+12)|
|Drives on the||left|
|1.||Recognised by the Great Council of Chiefs.|
Fiji is a small country in the Pacific Ocean. It has 322 islands. The most important islands are Vanua Levu and Viti Levu. The capital city of Fiji is Suva, and the city with the most people is Nadi. There are about 844,330 people in Fiji. The official languages of Fiji are Fijian, English and Hindustani (a mix of Hindi and Urdu). Fiji is part of the Pacific Rim. About 313000 speak Fiji Hindi.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Dutch and the British explored Fiji. Fiji was a British colony up until 1970; British occupation lasted almost a century. They have many forest, mineral, and fish resources.
Divisions and provinces
Fiji is divided into Four Major Divisions:
These divisions are divided into 14 provinces:
Fijian law defines "towns" as urbanized areas incorporated as municipal bodies, governed by Town Councils.
The following localities are urbanized, but have not been municipally organized.
Fiji has a lot of tourism and many people go to the Nadi and Denarau islands. Most visitors are from Australia, New Zealand and the USA. Fiji has many soft coral reefs. Scuba diving is a common tourist activity. More budget resorts are being opened in remote areas, which provides more tourism opportunities.
- Dr. A. Tschentscher, LL.M.. "Section 4 of Fiji Constitution". Servat.unibe.ch. http://www.servat.unibe.ch/icl/fj00000_.html. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division (2009) (PDF). World Population Prospects, Table A.1. 2008 revision. United Nations. http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/wpp2008/wpp2008_text_tables.pdf. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Fiji". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=29&pr.y=8&sy=2008&ey=2011&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=819&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Human Development Report 2010". United Nations. 2010. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2010_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Timeanddate.com". Timeanddate.com. http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/fiji-advances-clocks-nov-29.html. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Fiji: History". infoplease.com. 2005. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107509.html. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Tourism Fiji : A Social, Political and Environmental Case Study". tamu.edu. 2007. http://ertr.tamu.edu/attachments/178_a-5-3-3.pdf. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Fiji Travel Information and Travel Guide. Lonely Planet. Retrieved April 2010. Archived 8 November 2009 at WebCite
- "Arrivals information" Bureau of Statistics.