kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Football in Argentina
Football (or soccer in the U.S) is the most popular sport in Argentina. According to FIFA there are 2,658,811 players total; with 3,377 clubs and 37,161 officials. It is played from childhood into old age. 90% of Argentines say they have a favorite Argentine football club.
Football started in Argentina at the end of the 19th century. It was started by the British immigrants in Buenos Aires. The first Argentine league began in 1891. This makes it the third oldest league (after Great Britain and the Netherlands). The Argentine Football Association (AFA) was formed in 1893. It is the eighth oldest in the world.
The Argentine national team has won the football World Cup. They won in 1978 and 1986. They were runner-up in 1930 and 1990. They have also won the top continental tournament, the Copa América, fourteen times. The Argentina Olympic football team has won two Gold Medals. At club level, Argentine teams have won the most Intercontinental Cups (9) and the most Copa Libertadores (22).
In futsal, Argentina were FIFUSA/AMF Futsal World Cup champions in 1994. They also compete in the FIFA code of futsal, where they finished third in the 2004 FIFA Futsal World Cup. The team also won the FIFA Futsal Copa América in 2003. Argentina was world champion in futsal for the visually impaired in 1998.
- FIFA.com. "Member Association - Argentina - FIFA.com". https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/arg/.
- Secretaría de Deportes de la Nación e INDEC; Censo sobre Hábitos en actividades físicas y deportivas de la población Argentina, Buenos Aires, 2000.
- Consulto Aequis (in Spanish)
- "Argentina 1891". http://www.rsssf.com/tablesa/arg1891.html.
- AMF statistics (in Spanish)
- AFA - Fútbol Playa (in Spanish)