kidzsearch.com > wiki
Greek War of Independence
|Greek War of Independence|
|Part of Wars of Independence|
Germanos blessing the flag at Agia Lavra. Oil painting by Theodoros Vryzakis, 1865.
| Greek revolutionaries|
| Ottoman Empire
|Commanders and leaders|
| Theodoros Kolokotronis|
| Ottoman Empire Omer Vryonis
Ottoman Empire Mahmud Dramali Pasha
Ottoman Empire Reşid Mehmed Pasha
The Greek War of Independence (1821–1829), also commonly known as the Greek Revolution, was a successful war by the Greeks who won independence for Greece from the Ottoman Empire. After a long and bloody struggle, and with the aid of the United Kingdom, France and Russia, independence was finally achieved, and confirmed by the Treaty of Constantinople in July of 1832. The Greeks were thus the first of the Ottoman Empire's subject peoples to be accepted as constituted an independent sovereign power.
- Greek: Ελληνική Επανάσταση Elliniki Epanastasi; Ottoman Turkish: يؤنان ئسياني Yunan İsyanı
- Finlay, George (1877). A History of Greece (Edited by H. F. Tozer). London.
- Finlay, George (1861). History of Greek Revolution. London.
- Gordon, Thomas (1844). History of the Greek Revolution. London.
- Paroulakis, Peter H. (2000). The Greek War of Independence. Hellenic International Press.
- St. Clair, William (1972). That Greece Might Still Be Free - The Philhellenes in the War of Independence. London: Oxford University Press.