kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Constantinople (Greek: Κωνσταντινούπολις, Konstantinoúpolis, or Πόλις, Polis) was the capital of the Roman Empire (330-395), the Byzantine/East Roman Empire (395-1204 and 1261-1453), the Latin Empire (1204-1261), and the Ottoman Empire (1453-1922). In 1930 it was renamed Istanbul. It is a city in present day Turkey.
Istanbul was fought over in the Crusades. It was attacked and sieged multiple times by the Christian Crusaders and the Muslims who each claimed it as their own.
- Monuments of Byzantium - Pantokrator Monastery of Constantinople
- Mosaics of Hagia Sophia - The Deesis Mosaic from Hagia Sophia
- Constantinoupolis on the web Select internet resources on the history and culture of Constantinople
- Info on the name change from the Foundation for the Advancement of Sephardic Studies and Culture
- Welcome to Constantinople, documenting the monuments of Byzantine Constantinople, compiled by Robert Ousterhout, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Constantinople, from History of the Later Roman Empire, by J.B. Bury