kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
| Hannover |
|New Town Hall in Hanover, built from 1901 to 1913.|
|City subdivisions||13 districts|
|Lord Mayor||Stephan Weil (SPD)|
|Governing parties||SPD / Greens|
|Area||204.01 km2 (78.77 sq mi)|
|Elevation||55 m (180 ft)|
|Population||522,944 (1 November 2007)|
|- Density||2,563 /km2 (6,639 /sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Postal codes||30001 - 30669|
In Hanover there are some big industry companies like Volkswagen (Cars and Vans), Continental (tyres), Varta (batteries) and TUI (tourism).
There are some very big fairs in Hanover like the CeBIT - Centre of Office, Information and Telecommunication (B is for Büro that means office) and the traditional Hanover fair that shows classical industrial products.
In the year 2000 the Expo-2000 was in Hanover.
Hanover has a large forest near the inner city, it is called the Eilenriede. There is also a lake (the Maschsee) of about three km length and 500 m width near the city centre. The famous gardens of Herrenhausen (Herrenhäuser Gärten) are also in Hanover. The gardens were heavily destroyed in WWII, but they are currently under reconstruction.
People in Hannover get around town by using the Hannover Hauptbahnhof, which has been around since 1843.
The mayor of the city is Stefan Weil who followed Herbert Schmalstieg in 2006. Both are from the social democratic party SPD. The city has been administered by social democratic city councils since the 1950s.
The (new) town hall is one of the famous buildings in the city, others are the Marktkirche (market church), the old (medieval) town hall, some castles like the Leineschloss and the Welfenschloss.
Hanover is located at the river Leine.
Some internationally famous inhabitants of the town are:
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University Hannover (Hanover University)
- Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (Hanover Medical University)
- Tierärztliche Hochschule Hannover (Hanvover Veterinary School)
- Hochschule für Musik und Theatre Hannover (Hanover Music and Theater University)
- Fachhochschule Hannover (University of Applied Sciences)
- Evangelische Fachhochschule Hannover (a Christian University of Applied Sciences - for social science. Hanover is the 11th largest city in Germany by population within city limits. According to 2005. estimate Hanover urban area had 766,000 inhabitants and today that population counts around 777,000 inhabitants (by 2008. estimate). Hanover metropolitan area has 1,129,000 inhabitants.
|Climate data for Hanover|
|Average high °C (°F)||3
|Average low °C (°F)||-2.22
|Precipitation mm (inches)||53
Hanover has a famous football club, Hannover 96, since 2002 (again) a member of the first German football league, the Bundesliga. Its home stadium is the AWD-Arena (capacity: 49000). Hanover is also a center for ice hockey.
- "Bevölkerungsveränderungen in den kreisfreien Städten und Landkreisen im November 2006" (in German). http://www.nls.niedersachsen.de/Tabellen/Bevoelkerung/Bev_veraend_11_06.html. Retrieved 2007-04-25.
- "Hanover historic weather averages". Intellicast. http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=GMXX0051. Retrieved 19 September 2009.