kidzsearch.com > wiki
|• Density||15,400/km2 (40,000/sq mi)|
Jakarta (also Djakarta or DKI Jakarta) is the largest and the capital city of Indonesia. It is on the northwest coast of the island of Java, it has an area of 661.52 km² and a population of 10,187,595 as of November 2011. Jakarta has been established for more than 490 years and now is the ninth most dense city in the world with 15,400 people per km².
Jakarta's first name was Sunda Kelapa. Before the Dutch came, it was renamed the city Jayakarta, starting in 1527. In 1619 the Dutch renamed the city Batavia. It was called Jakarta by the Japanese during World War 2.
- "After census city plans for 9.5 million". Jakarta Pos. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/08/28/after-census-city-plans-95-million.html. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- "Jumlah Penduduk Provinsi DKI Jakarta". Dinas Kependudukan dan Catatan Sipil. http://www.kependudukancapil.go.id/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=63. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Official website
- Jakarta Official Travel Website
- An Account of Exploring Jakarta by Bicycle
- Jakarta travel guide from Wikivoyage