kidzsearch.com > wiki
Roberts at the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo in 2013
|Ring name(s)||Jake Roberts|
Jake Smith, Jr.
|Billed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Billed weight||249 lb (113 kg)|
|Born||May 30, 1955|
|Resides||Oak Ridge, Texas|
|Billed from||Stone Mountain, Georgia|
|Debut||May 13, 1975|
|Retired||January 29, 2011|
Aurelian Jake Smith, Jr. (born May 30, 1955) is a American semi-retired professional wrestler. He is best known for wrestling with WWF, WCW and ECW under the ring name, Jake "The Snake" Roberts. He is a second generation wrestler because his father is Aurelian "Grizzly" Smith. He was known for bringing out snakes during his matches, one of his snakes being a python named Damien.
He made a surprise return on the January 6, 2014 episode of Raw titled Old School Raw and dumped a snake on the face of a downed Dean Ambrose. On the January 27, 2014 episode of Raw, Jerry Lawler announced that Roberts was the second entrant in the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2014.
In February 2014, it was reported by TMZ that Roberts had been suffering from muscular cancer below his knee, and was scheduled to go into surgery for it on the 25th. Responding to the article, Roberts was quoted as saying "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine." In July 2014, Roberts announced that he was cancer-free, as various operations had been successful.
On August 28 2014, he got sick during a flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas where he was supposed to attend a birthday event for wrestler Nick Cvjetkovich. It was first reported that Roberts had become unconscious but it was later confirmed that he was both alert and awake during the flight and had notified the flight attendant of pain and shortness of breath. It was stated that he was in a 'coma-like' state in order to treat pneumonia. After he was taken to the ICU in Las Vegas, he was diagnosed with pneumonia, which was something his own doctors missed. It was also confirmed that doctors had found an abnormality on his brain which they feel could be a result of all the bumps Robert's took over his career.
On September 6, 2014, Robert was released from the hospital and attended the Future Stars of Wrestling's "Survival of the Fittest" event the same day. At the event, he announced that doctors had found more cancer, this time in his chest.
- All-Star Wrestling Network (Georgia)
- AWN World Heavyweight Champion (one time)
- Americas Wrestling Federation
- AWF Puerto Rican Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Georgia Championship Wrestling
- NWA National Television Championship (one time)
- NWA World Television Championship (Georgia version) (two times)
- Mid-South Wrestling Association
- Mid-South Louisiana Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship (two times)
- Mid-South Television Championship (one time)
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year in 1996
- PWI ranked him #100 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
- Smoky Mountain Wrestling
- SMW Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Stampede Wrestling
- Stampede North American Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- World Class Championship Wrestling
- "Slithering back: Jake "The Snake" Roberts on his triumphant return". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/inside/jake-the-snake-roberts-exclusive-interview-26175431. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "2014 WWE Hall of Fame Inductee: Jake "The Snake" Roberts: Raw, JAN. 27, 2014". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/videos/2014-wwe-hall-of-fame-inductee-jake-the-snake-roberts-raw-jan-27-2014-26178600. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Jake 'The Snake' Roberts on Comeback Trail". Diamond Dallas Page. http://www.diamonddallaspage.com/?news=jake-the-snake-roberts-to-move-in-with-diamond-dallas-page-train-for-one-last-pro-wrestling-run. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "Jake "The Snake" Roberts -- I Have Cancer". TMZ. http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/23/jake-the-snake-roberts-cancer-tumor-knee-surgery/. Retrieved 2014-9-23.
- "WWE Teases “Something is Coming…”, Jake Roberts Says He’s Cancer Free, WWE Polls Fans on Best Mic Performer". WrestleZone. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/495751-jake-roberts-says-he-is-cancer-free. Retrieved 2014-9-23.
- "Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized, reportedly in bad condition". Yahoo! Sports. https://sports.yahoo.com/news/jake-snake-roberts-hospitalized-reportedly-002020700.html. Retrieved 2014-9-23.
- "Report: WWE Hall of Famer Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts battling double pneumonia in Las Vegas hospital". Daily News (New York). http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/report-wwe-legend-jake-snake-roberts-battling-double-pneumonia-article-1.1921305. Retrieved 2014-9-23.
- "Lawyer: WWE legend Jake Roberts has brain abnormality". USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2014/08/30/jake-the-snake-roberts-brain-pneumonia-vegas-hospital/14846337/. Retrieved 2014-9-23.
- "Jake News: Jake Roberts out of the hospital, appears at FSW show the same day (w/Video of Jake's Promo)". Pro Wrestling Torch. http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_80619.shtml#.VCIx_vldV1Y. Retrieved 2014-9-23.