kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Office of National Drug Control Policy
|Office of National Drug Control Policy|
|Formed||October 27, 1986|
|Headquarters||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Annual budget||$31.4 billion|
|Agency executive||James W. Carroll (Acting), Director|
|Parent agency||Executive Office of the President|
The Office of National Drug Control Policy is a part of the Executive Office of the President of the United States.
In addition to running the ONDCP, the director evaluates, coordinates, and oversees both the international and domestic anti-drug efforts of executive branch agencies and ensures that such efforts sustain and complement State and local anti-drug activities. The Director advises the President regarding changes in the organization, management, budgeting, and personnel of federal agencies that affect U.S. anti-drug efforts; and regarding federal agency compliance with their obligations under the National Drug Control Strategy, an annual report required by law.
2017 Rumored shutdown
As early as February 2017, The New York Times had reported that the Trump administration was considering eliminating the office, and other programs responsible for a total of $2.5 billion of domestic spending. In May, the office's website was blanked and Politico and The Washington Post both reported that the office was about to be drastically defunded.
List of Directors
|1||Bill Bennett||March 13, 1989 – December 13, 1990||George H. W. Bush|
|2||Bob Martinez||March 28, 1991 – January 20, 1993|
|January 20, 1993 – July 19, 1993||Bill Clinton|
|3||Lee Brown||July 19, 1993 – January 1996|
|4||Barry McCaffrey||February 29, 1996 – January 20, 2001|
|January 20, 2001 – December 7, 2001||George W. Bush|
|5||John Walters||December 7, 2001 – January 20, 2009|
|January 20, 2009 – May 7, 2009||Barack Obama|
|6||Gil Kerlikowske||May 7, 2009 – March 6, 2014|
|March 6, 2014 – January 20, 2017|
|January 20, 2017 – March 27, 2017||Donald Trump|
|March 28, 2017 – February 9, 2018|
|8||Jim Carroll||February 9, 2018 – present|
Acting: February 9, 2018 – January 3, 2019
- Office of the Press Secretary. "ONDCP". whitehouse.gov (Washington, D.C.: White House). https://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/about. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- Maintland, Leslie. (October 9, 1982) New York Times U.S. plans a new drive on narcotics. Section: 1; Page 18. (noting, "But Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Delaware Democrat who is a strong advocate of antinarcotics efforts, said today that he thought no program could work without a Cabinet-level "drug czar" in charge to coordinate the work of various agencies.")
- Joe Biden Coined The Term "Drug Czar", Wrote Laws Banning Drug Paraphenilia
- Sharon LaFraniere and Alan Rappeport (February 17, 2017), "Popular Domestic Programs Face Ax Under First Trump Budget", The New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/us/politics/trump-program-eliminations-white-house-budget-office.html
- Dan Diamond (May 5, 2017), Trump budget would effectively kill drug control office, http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/05/trump-budget-drug-control-office-238035
- Report: White House plans to slash funding for fed Drug Control Policy office, The Washington Post, May 5, 2017, http://masscentral.com/report-white-house-plans-to-slash-funding-for-fed-drug-control-policy-office/