kidzsearch.com > wiki
|42nd President of the United States|
January 20, 1993 – January 20, 2001
|Vice President||Al Gore|
|Preceded by||George H. W. Bush|
|Succeeded by||George W. Bush|
|40th and 42nd Governor of Arkansas|
January 11, 1983 – December 12, 1992
|Lieutenant|| Winston Bryant|
|Preceded by||Frank White|
|Succeeded by||Jim Tucker|
January 9, 1979 – January 19, 1981
|Preceded by||Joe Purcell (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Frank White|
|50th Attorney General of Arkansas|
January 3, 1977 – January 9, 1979
|Governor|| David Pryor|
Joe Purcell (Acting)
|Preceded by||Jim Tucker|
|Succeeded by||Steve Clark|
|Born|| William Jefferson Blythe III|
August 19, 1946
Hope, Arkansas, U.S.
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Spouse(s)||Hillary Rodham (1975-present)|
|Alma mater|| Georgetown University (B.S.)|
University College, Oxford
Yale University (J.D.)
|Website||Clinton Presidential Library|
William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton (born William Jefferson Blythe III; August 19, 1946) is an American politician who served from 1993 to 2001 as the 42nd President of the United States. He was 46 years old when he was elected and the third youngest president. He took office at the end of the Cold War. Clinton was the first president from the baby boom generation. Before he was president, Clinton was governor of Arkansas from 1979 to 1981 and 1983 to 1992 and attorney general of Arkansas from 1977 to 1979. His wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton is the former United States Secretary of State and Senator of New York.
Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe in Hope, Arkansas. His biological father, William Jefferson Blythe died in a car accident, three months before Clinton was born. His mother, Virginia Clinton Kelley was a Nurse anesthetist. He took the last name Clinton because it was his stepfather, Roger Clinton, Sr.'s name. Clinton grew up in Hot Springs, Arkansas. In high school, Clinton played the saxophone. Clinton went to college at Georgetown University. During his college years, Clinton worked under several politicians. He later went to Oxford University and Yale Law School. Clinton did not fight in the Vietnam War because he was in the ROTC for a short time.
Before being President
After law school. Clinton was elected Attorney General of Arkansas in 1976 and governor of Arkansas in 1978. At 32, he was the youngest governor in the country at that time. Clinton served as governor of Arkansas from 1979 to 1981 and again from 1983 to 1993. Clinton was known for being a "New Democrat" while governor. During, Clinton changed the state's school system. There was also a scandal called Whitewater during Clinton's term.
In the 1992 presidential election, he beat Republican George H. W. Bush. During the early part of Clinton's first term, he put in place a tax code which would increase taxes on the rich and decrease taxes on the poor.
The Republicans defeated Clinton's proposal for the U.S. government to adopt universal health care. The Republicans proposed many new ideas to Congress to limit the size of government such as requiring the budget to be balanced and to stop people from abusing the welfare system.
Clinton was the first sitting United States president to be sued.
President Clinton was accused of wrongdoing by the U.S. House of Representatives in December 1998 during the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Although he lied that they did not engage in ivity, he was found to have done nothing wrong by the U.S. Senate in February 1999.
The country faced very few challenges during his term. The Cold War was over and there was very little need for the U.S. military to get involved in the world's affairs, so defense spending was significantly lowered. The economy was doing very well during his term, though there is a debate whether the economy was well because of Clinton's policies or because of the Republicans' policies.
The decade ended with the being the first time the United States did not have to borrow money to pay for its budget. Clinton left office with high approval ratings and was succeeded by George W. Bush.
After The Presidency
After his presidency, he wrote some books and traveled around the world helping out the United States. He is married to former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and now lives in New York. He has written My Life, a book about his life, and several other books. Clinton has received two Grammy Awards, both for books he read on tape. He is now the U.N.'s envoy to Haiti. He also became a vegetarian.
- Partners in Power: The Clintons and ... - Google Books. Books.google.com. April 25, 1999. . http://books.google.com/?id=Vq96BQV5lF4C&lpg=PA96&dq=&pg=PA100. Retrieved August 6, 2009.
- In the Arena: Geoff Metcalf ... - Google Books. Books.google.com. November 28, 2002. . http://books.google.com/?id=_pcTJ0uTg_gC&lpg=PA562&dq=&pg=PA561. Retrieved August 6, 2009.
- Bill Clinton Trivia at WDW
- "Latest news | Clinton impeached". BBC News. 1998-12-19. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/events/clinton_under_fire/latest_news/238784.stm. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Special Report: Clinton Accused". Washingtonpost.com. 1999-02-13. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/impeach021399.htm. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Restaurants’ Best Press: ‘Bill Clinton Ate Here’" "New York Times", 25 Oct 2010 
- Reader's Digest. December 2010.
- "Chill Bill: Clinton turns to the art of Buddhist meditation to relax". http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183101/Bill-Clinton-turns-art-Buddhist-meditation-relax.html. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Bill Clinton|
- Photos of Bill Clinton's actions to bring peace to the Middle East
- Bill Clinton's White House biography