kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Pope Leo XIII
|Pope Leo XIII|
|Papacy began||February 20 1878|
|Papacy ended||July 20 1903|
|Predecessor||Pope Pius IX|
|Successor||Pope Pius X|
|Birth name||Vincenzo Gioacchino Raffaelle Luigi Pecci|
March 2 1810 |
Carpineto Romano, département of Rome, French Empire
July 20, 1903 (aged 93) |
Apostolic Palace, Vatican City
Pope Leo XIII (Latin: Leo PP. XIII; Italian: Leone XIII, March 2, 1810—July 20, 1903), born Vincenzo Gioacchino Raffaele Luigi Pecci, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 257th Pope from 1878 until his death.
In 1878, Cardinal Pecci was elected Pope.
After his election, Pope Leo never went outside the gates of the Vatican.
Age age 93, the pope died from pneumonia and old age.
After his death
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2013-3-18.
- "The Life and Personality of the Dead Pope," New York Times. July 21, 1903; retrieved 2011-11-10.
- "Leo XIIIs Jubilee," New York Times. February 22, 1903; retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Leo and Victoria," New York Times. March 3, 1899; retrieved 2011-11-10.
- "Pope Leo XIII," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Election of Pope Leo XIII," New York Times. February 21, 1878; retrieved 2011-10-30.
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- "Pope Leo XIII" in Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913
- "Leo XIII" in Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911
- Vatican webpage, Leo XIII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Gioacchino Cardinal Pecci
- Catholic Encyclopedia, "List of Popes"
| Succeeded by|