kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||980s 990s 1000s – 1010s – 1020s 1030s 1040s|
|Years:||1008 1009 1010 – 1011 – 1012 1013 1014|
- June 11 – the Byzantine army takes Bari from the rebellious Lombard lord Melus.
- Danes capture Canterbury, taking Alphege, the Archbishop of Canterbury as a prisoner.
- Byrhtferth of Ramsey writes his Manual, on the subject of time.
- The German king Henry II gives Adalbero, Duke of Carinthia the Carinthian duchy, including the rule over the March of Verona (or in 1012).
- Ermengol II succeeds Ermengol I as Count of Urgell
- Albert II, Count of Namur succeeds Albert I
- Baghdad Manifesto: Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah's fall from Ali ibn Abi Talib is disputed.
- Ibn al-Haytham (Alhacen), a famous Persian scientist working in Egypt, pretends to be crazy. He is kept under house arrest until 1021. During this time he begins writing his influential Book of Optics.
- In Georgia, Bagrat III takes away Sumbat III of Klarjeti power.
- The Chinese Guangyun rime dictionary is compiled under Emperor Zhenzong of Song.
- Emperor Sanjō gets the throne of Japan.
- Eleanor of Normandy, a Norman noblewoman and the daughter of Richard II of Normandy (possible date; d. after 1071)
- Ralph the Staller, earl of East Anglia (d. 1068)
- Robert I, Duke of Burgundy (d. 1076)
- Shao Yong, Song Dynasty philosopher, cosmologist, poet and historian (d. 1077)
- February 23 – Willigis, Archbishop of Mainz and a statesman of the Holy Roman Empire (b. c. 940)
- November 21 – Emperor Reizei of Japan (b. 950)
- December 12 or December 15 – Conrad I, Duke of Carinthia (b. c. 975)
- Emperor Ichijō of Japan (b. 980)
- Albert I, Count of Namur (b. c. 950)
- Armentarius, Galician bishop (b. 983)
- Sumbat III of Klarjeti, Georgian prince of the Bagratid dynasty of Tao-Klarjeti and the last sovereign of Klarjeti
- Yohannan V, Patriarch of the Church of the East