kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1030s 1040s 1050s – 1060s – 1070s 1080s 1090s|
|Years:||1063 1064 1065 – 1066 – 1067 1068 1069|
1066 was a year which brought great changes in England. The land had four kings during the year. The year started under Anglo-Saxon rule, and ended under Norman rule. This was the only occasion since Roman Britain when the entire country was successfully invaded.
There were four kings during the year: Edward the Confessor (to 5 January 1066), Harold Godwinson (to 14 October 1066), Edgar the Ætheling (to 10 December 1066), and finally William I, Duke of Normandy.
- January 6– Harold II becomes King of England
- September 25 – Harold II defeats Tostig and Harald Hardraada at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. Tostig and Harald Hardraada are killed
- October 14 – At the Battle of Hastings William the Conqueror (Duke of Normandy) defeats Harold. Harold is killed. In England, this heralds the start of the Middle Ages.
- January 4 – Edward the Confessor of England
- September 25 – Killed at the Battle of Stamford Bridge:
- October 14 – Killed at the Battle of Hastings:
- November 10 – Sacrificed to Radegast: