kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Municipal assoc.||Treptower Tollensewinkel|
|Town subdivisions||8 Ortsteile|
|Mayor||Sybille Kempf (CDU)|
|Area||52.83 km2 (20.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|Population||6,153 (31 December 2006)|
|- Density||116 /km2 (302 /sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Location of the town of Altentreptow within Mecklenburgische Seenplatte district|
Altentreptow (IPA: [altənˈtʁeːpto]) is a town in the Mecklenburgische Seenplatte Rural District, in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany. Altentreptow is the chief town of the Treptower Tollensewinkel amt
The town was called Trybethowe in 1175. From 1191 it was being called Trebutowe, and Tributowe in 1245. The name Treptow was being used is 1254. In 1295 the Latin Antiquum Treptow was used. This means Old Treptow, or in German: Altentreptow
Until 1939 the city's name was Treptow an der Tollense (Treptow on the Tollense).
The town was burned down several time in the 1500s. Later, during the Thirty Years War the Holy Roman Empire's army was forced to leave the town by the Swedish Army. Later Prussian troops returned, threw the Swedes out, and looted (robbed) the town.
The modern town
By the 18th century wars had made the town very poor. The city wall was taken down to get new land for growing food.
1869 a new city hall was built and there were cloth weavers and spinning mills as well as farmers in the city.
1888 a dairy cooperative was started, and they opened new building in 1995.
Electricity arrived in the city in 1916. This encouraged more people to move to the city and build.
A big residential area arose with 1049 flats was built between 1960 and 1985. In the middle of the 1960s the old primary school was changed to a home for old people and a zoo was opened in 1972.
Altentreptow was the capital of the Landkreis (administrative district) Altentreptow from 1952 to 1994.
After the German reunification the old town centre was rebuilt. A modern hospital was opened with 108 beds in 2001.
Culture and sights
- This newly repaired historical old town with the Little Tollense River, the market place and the town gates. The half-timbered houses at Oberbaustraße 26 were built in 1663 and 1823.
- The St. Petri church was built in the 14th and 15th centuries
- Two gates from the old town wall still exist. The Brandenburg Gate and the Demminer Gate were built in 1450.
- The Fritz Reuter House. (The writer Fritz Reuter lived and worked in the town from 1850 to 1856).
- The fountain on the market. Water sprays in all directions
- The city hall of 1869 in the neo-Gothic style.
- The meadow landscape along the Tollense.
- The cloister mountain steeped in history with facilities for culture, leisure time, sports and relaxation.
- Eichler, Ernst (2002). Die Namen der Städte in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Rostock: Ingo Koch Verlag. .