kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
When Artemis was born she became known as the goddess of the moon.
Her symbol is widely known as a bow and arrow.
Hera, who was Zeus's wife, discovered that Leto was pregnant and became very angry. She banned Leto from giving birth on any mainland or island known.
Leto found the island of Delos, which floated and so was not an island or mainland, and gave birth there. Hera then locked up the goddess of childbirth, Eilethyia, so she could not give birth to the twins. Then, all the other goddesses convinced her to let her free so she could finally give birth. Leto gave birth to Artemis without any problem. However she was in labor with Apollo for nine days. Artemis helped Leto to give birth to Apollo.
- Artume - Etruscan mythology version of Artemis.
- Diana - Roman mythology version of Artemis.
- Temple of Artemis
- Theoi Project, Artemis, information on Artemis from original Greek and Roman sources, images from classical art.
- Hymn To Artemis - The Virgin Goddess of the Hunt
- A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities (1890) (eds. G. E. Marindin, William Smith, LLD, William Wayte)