kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Objectives of the earthquake engineering
The main goals of earthquake engineering are:
- Understand what happens between buildings and the ground.
- Understand what strong earthquakes or tsunamis might do to building structures.
- Design, build and maintain structures to last during an earthquake while following building codes.
A properly engineered structure does not necessarily have to be extremely strong or expensive.
To test seismic performance of a building structure with experiments, it is may be put on a shake-table that behaves like the earth shaking. The earliest shake-table experiments were performed more than a century ago 
Tsunami preparedness and protection
Tsunami or a chain of fast moving waves in the ocean caused, mostly, by powerful earthquakes is a very serious challenge for people's safety and for tsunami protection of buildings and civil infrastructure. Those waves can flood coastal areas, destroy houses and even swipe away whole towns.
- Berg, Glen V. (1983). Seismic Design Codes and Procedures. EERI. .
- Omori, F. (1900). Seismic Experiments on the Fracturing and Overturning of Columns. Publ. Earthquake Invest. Comm. In Foreign Languages, N.4, Tokyo.
- USGS Poster of the Near the East Coast of Honshu, Japan Earthquake of 11 March 2011 - Magnitude 8.9 Archived 11 March 2011 at WebCite
- Pacific Tsunamy Warning Center Archived 12 March 2011 at WebCite