kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
The term English literature means literature written in the English language, that is also literature in English by writers that did not come from England. Beowulf is one of the first books in English. Geoffrey Chaucer, Shakespeare, John Milton, William Wordsworth, Jane Austen, George Eliot, Thomas Hardy, D.H. Lawrence, Virginia Woolf and Ted Hughes are all important English writers.
Joseph Conrad was Polish, Robert Burns was Scottish, James Joyce was Irish, Dylan Thomas was Welsh, Edgar Allan Poe was American, Salman Rushdie is Indian, V. S. Naipaul is Trinidadian, Vladimir Nabokov was Russian. In other words, English literature includes the varieties and dialects of English spoken around the world.
- A Website of the Romantic Movement in English Literature
- Luminarium: Anthology of Middle English Literature (1350-1485)
- Luminarium: 16th Century Renaissance English Literature (1485-1603)
- Luminarium: Seventeenth Century English Literature (1603-1660)
- Norton Anthology of English Literature
- A Bibliography of Literary Theory, Criticism and Philology Ed. José Ángel García Landa, (University of Zaragoza, Spain)
- Groves of Academe A Literary Theory and Criticism discussion board