kidzsearch.com > wiki
|• Type||Representative town meeting|
|• First selectman||Peter Tesei (R)|
|• Town administrator||Benjamin Branyan|
|• Town meeting moderator||Thomas J. Byrne|
|• Total||67.2 sq mi (174.0 km2)|
|• Land||47.8 sq mi (123.8 km2)|
|• Water||19.4 sq mi (50.3 km2)|
|Elevation||131 ft (40 m)|
|• Density||928.5/sq mi (358.60/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
06807, 06830, 06831, 06870, 06878, 06836
|GNIS feature ID||213435|
Greenwich is the southernmost and westernmost town in Connecticut. In July 2005, CNN/Money and Money magazine listed Greenwich 4th on its list of the 100 Best Places to Live in the United States. Money magazine also ranked Greenwich #1 in the "Biggest Earner" category. The town is named after Greenwich, England.
The town of Greenwich was settled in 1640. One of the founders was Elizabeth Fones Winthrop, daughter-in-law of John Winthrop. Winthrop was founder and Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Greenwich was officially made a town on May 11, 1665.
The top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||Town of Greenwich||2,366|
|3||Bimbo Bakeries USA||500|
|4||Blue Sky Studios||400|
|5||Hyatt Regency - Greenwich||650|
|6||Greenwich Woods Rehabilitation & Health Care Center||235|
|7||Tudor Investment Corporation||227|
|8||Connecticut Light and Power Company||200|
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Town of Greenwich
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Greenwich town, Connecticut". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- "MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2005: Greenwich, CT snapshot". CNN. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2005/snapshots/39437.html.
- "MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 25 Biggest earners". CNN. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top25s/highincomes.html.
-  Greenwich history page at Connecticut GenWeb site.
- Town of Greenwich CAFR