kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Historic counties of England
The historic counties of England are ancient subdivisions of England. They were used for various functions for several hundred years and continue to form the basis of modern local government. They are alternatively known as ancient counties and traditional counties.
The historic counties are as follows:
|* = county palatine | † = also known as the County of Southampton or Southamptonshire | Monmouthshire is not shown|
- Thomson, D., England in the Nineteenth Century (1815-1914), (1978)
- Bryne, T., Local Government in Britain, (1994)
- Her Majesty's Stationary Office, Aspects of Britain: Local Government, (1996)
- Hampton, W., Local Government and Urban Politics, (1991)
- Vision of Britain - Type details for ancient county. Retrieved 19 October 2006.
- Vision of Britain - List of subdivisions of England. Retrieved 19 October 2006.