kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
| Earth's oceans|
The Indian Ocean is the ocean surrounded by Asia to the north, Australia and the Pacific Ocean to the east, the Southern Ocean to the south, and Africa and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. It is so named because the river Indus from the native word Sindhu means ocean, that empties out from the southern Asian country of Pakistan, because it is on its shore, which was Ancient India. The Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea are all parts of this ocean.
The deepest point in the Indian Ocean is in Java Trench, it is 25,344 feet deep. The average depth is 13,002 feet deep. The Indian Ocean is 28,350,000 square miles in size.
- Maps of the indian Ocean
- Océan Indien in easy French
- NOAA In-situ Ocean Data Viewer Plot and download ocean observations
- The Indian Ocean in World History: Educational Website Interactive resource from the Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center
- The Regional Tuna Tagging Project-Indian Ocean with details of the importance of Tuna in the Indian Ocean..
- Detailed maps of the Indian Ocean
- The Indian Ocean Trade: A Classroom Simulation
- CIA - The World Factbook, Oceans: Indian Ocean