kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Speaker of the House of Commons|
Assumed office |
22 June 2009
|Preceded by||Michael Martin|
|Shadow Secretary of State for International Development|
6 November 2003 – 23 September 2004
|Preceded by||Caroline Spelman|
|Succeeded by||Alan Duncan|
|Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury|
18 September 2001 – 23 July 2002
|Leader||Iain Duncan Smith|
|Preceded by||Oliver Letwin|
|Succeeded by||Howard Flight|
|Member of Parliament |
Assumed office |
1 May 1997
|Preceded by||George Walden|
19 January 1963|
Edgware, Middlesex, England
|Political party||Not applicable|
|Spouse(s)||Sally Bercow (née Illman)|
|Alma mater||University of Essex|
John Simon Bercow (surname pronounce BER-COE;born 19 January 1963 in Edgware, Middlesex, England) is a British politician who is the Speaker of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom. He is the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of Buckingham.
John Bercow was active in the Conservative Party from a young age and was a Conservative councillor, for Lambeth, from 1986 to 1990. He stood as a candidate to become an MP at the 1987 and 1992 General Elections but was not successful. At the 1997 General Election, Bercow was elected the Conservative MP for Buckingham. He served in the shadow cabinets of Iain Duncan Smith and Michael Howard. After the Speaker Michael Martin resigned on 22 June 2009, Bercow was elected as the Speaker.
Bercow is the first Jewish Speaker. He is the first Speaker not to wear traditional court robes while presiding over the House of Commons. But, along with tradition, Bercow does now display his coat of arms at Speaker's House.
- "Essex graduate new speaker, Colchester Campus, Government, 23 June 2009". University of Essex. 23 June 2009. http://www.essex.ac.uk/events/event.aspx?e_id=613. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- Elgot, Jessica. "New Jewish ministers and the Miliband rivalry". The Jewish Chronicle. http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/31823/new-jewish-ministers-and-miliband-rivalry.
- Bercow Says He's Relieved to Quit U.K. Conservatives bloomberg.com, 26 June 2009
- "Election of the Speaker". News.parliament.uk. 21 April 2010. http://news.parliament.uk/2009/06/election-of-the-speaker-latest/. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- "British lawmakers elect first Jewish speaker". JTA. 23 June 2009. http://jta.org/news/article/2009/06/23/1006053/british-lawmakers-elect-first-jewish-speaker. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- Webster, Philip (24 June 2009). "Farewell to tights as new Speaker John Bercow presides over Commons". The Times. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6565099.ece. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- Speaker Bercow's coat of arms