kidzsearch.com > wiki
Juneteenth (full name Juneteenth National Independence Day, also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, and Liberation Day) is a holiday in the United States on June 19. It is a memory of June 19, 1865, when the slaves in Texas got their freedom and commemorates the end of slavery in the United States. The name Juneteenth is a short form of June nineteenth. It became a recognized federal holiday in June 2021 when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law.
The first celebration of Juneteenth was in 1866. Over the years, it was sometimes more popular, and sometimes less popular. Texas was the first state to make it an official holiday in 1979. After George Floyd was killed in 2020, many people wanted to show their support for black rights.
The Juneteenth flag. Created in 1997 by Ben Faith and Lisa Jeanne Graf, the flag commemorates the end of slavery in the United States.
- "Juneteenth: Our Other Independence Day". https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/juneteenth-our-other-independence-day-16340952/.
- "Cel-Liberation Style! Fourth Annual Juneteenth Day Kicks off June 19.". Milwaukee Star. June 12, 1975. http://www.infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/readex/doc?p=EANX&docref=image/v2%3A12A7AE31A7B3CA6B%40EANX-12BA74AAA9B9AFB8%402442576-12BA74AAB9BFAD18%401-12BA74ABAE646B48%40Cel-Liberation%2BStyle%2521%2BFourth%2BAnnual%2BJuneteenth%2BDay%2BKicks%2Boff%2BJune%2B19. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- "It Happened: June 19.". Milwaukee Star, vol. 14, no. 42. June 27, 1974. http://www.infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/readex/doc?p=EANX&docref=image/v2%3A12A7AE31A7B3CA6B%40EANX-12C56130F92C6210%402442226-12C5613126726070%404-12C561320D6419C0%40It%2BHappened%2B%253A%2BJune%2B19. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- "Juneteenth Celebrated in Coachella". Black Voice News. June 22, 2011. http://www.blackvoicenews.com/news/46366-juneteenth-celebrated-in-coachella.html.
- S. 475
- "Biden signs bill making Juneteenth, marking the end of slavery, a federal holiday". June 17, 2021. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-sign-bill-making-juneteenth-federal-holiday-commemorating/story?id=78335485.
- President Biden [POTUS] (June 17, 2021). "Juneteenth is officially a federal holiday." (Tweet). https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1405621303256698880.
- Cruz, Gilbert (2008-06-18). "Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews" (in en-US). Time. . http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1815936,00.html. Retrieved 2020-06-19.
- CNN, Harmeet Kaur, CNN Design by Will Mullery. "The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols. Here's what they mean". https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/freedom-day-juneteenth-flag-meaning-trnd/index.html.