kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Republic of Malta
Repubblika ta' Malta
|Official languages||Maltese, English|
|Maltese 95.3%, British 1.6%, other 3.1%|
|Marie Louise Coleiro Preca|
• from the United Kingdom
|21 September 1964|
|13 December 1974|
|316 km2 (122 sq mi) (200th)|
• Water (%)
• 2010 estimate
|417,608  (171st)|
• 2007 census
|1,306.8/km2 (3,384.6/sq mi) (7th)|
Malta is an island country in Europe. It is near the center of the Mediterranean Sea, south of Sicily. The capital of Malta is Valletta. About 400,000 people live in Malta. Malta is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Because of this, it has many cities and towns that grew into each other over time. The largest of these is possibly Birkirkara.
Malta had its own currency, called the Maltese Lira until 2008. The Maltese Lira was better known as the Maltese Pound because of the strong links to the United Kingdom. One Maltese Lira consisted of 100 cents. In 2008 Malta joined the Euro countries in adopting the Euro as the National Currency.
Malta became well known as the base of the Knights of St John. They moved to Malta after being forced to leave Palestine and then Rhodes, in Greece. The knights and the Maltese people survived a great attack by the Turks. The history of the knights at Malta continued the strong Roman Catholic beliefs in the country that were started by the Norman and Spanish rulers.
In 1798, Napoleon took control of Malta. The French rule was not popular and in 1800 Maltese rebels invited the English Royal Navy to come to the island. This lead to 200 years as a British colony and independent Commonwealth member.
- "Malta: General data of the country". Populstat.info. http://www.populstat.info/Europe/maltag.htm. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
-  – National Statistics Office, Malta, 2011
- Malta in Figures – National Statistics Office, Malta, 2008 ISBN 978-99909-73-64-8
- "Malta". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2008&ey=2011&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=181&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr.x=30&pr.y=3. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Human Development Report 2010". United Nations. 2010. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2010_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Census of Population and Housing 2005: Preliminary Report. Valletta: National Statistics Office. 2005. . http://www.nso.gov.mt/statdoc/document_file.aspx?id=1653. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- Malta travel guide and information
- Malta Wiki - Malta Popular Encyclopedia
- Photos, Webcam of Gozo
- Malta holidays and hotels
- Malta travel guide
- Malta Travel Guide