kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Medical Tourism is patients visiting other countries for medical care. The patients usually come from developed countries to find treatment at lower prices. Over 50 countries have identified medical tourism as a national industry.
Examples of common medical procedures done for medical tourists are surgical procedures like joint replacement, heart surgery, cosmetic surgery, dental treatment, addictions rehabilitation.
the term medical tourism can also be called medical travel, health tourism or global healthcare. it was initially developed by travel agencies and the mass media to describe the rapidly-growing practice of travelling across international borders to obtain health care.
Countries that are popular for Medical Tourism are:
To get an idea of the potential cost savings from medical tourism, in Denver, Colorado, USA, a person without health insurance who needs a hip replacement will pay about US $60,000 (EUR 44751). In comparison, in Cuba, going through medical tourism firm Choice Medical Services, the same procedure costs about US $8000 (EUR 5967) or about an 80 percent savings.
- Gahlinger, PM. The Medical Tourism Travel Guide: Your Complete Reference to Top-Quality, Low-Cost Dental, Cosmetic, Medical Care & Surgery Overseas. Sunrise River Press, 2008
- Denver Post July 27, 2007, retrieved Aug. 15, 2007
- Choice Medical Services website Aug 15, 2007, retrieved Aug. 15, 2007
- "Canadian Firms Offer Cuban Healthcare to US, Canadian Patients", Miami Herald, Oct. 7, 2007
- Hand in Hand International Patients Assistance
- Best Health Tourism