kidzsearch.com > wikiMike Pompeo Explore:web images videos games
|70th United States Secretary of State|
|Assumed office |
April 26, 2018
|Deputy||John J. Sullivan|
|Preceded by||Rex Tillerson|
|6th Director of the Central Intelligence Agency|
January 23, 2017 – April 26, 2018
|Preceded by||John O. Brennan|
|Succeeded by||Gina Haspel|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Kansas's 4th district
January 3, 2011 – January 23, 2017
|Preceded by||Todd Tiahrt|
|Succeeded by||Ron Estes|
Michael Richard Pompeo
December 30, 1963
Orange, California, U.S.
|Education||United States Military Academy (BS)|
Harvard University (JD)
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Years of service||1986–1991|
|Unit||2nd Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division|
Michael Richard Pompeo (born December 30, 1963) is an American politician. Pompeo is the 70th and current United States Secretary of State serving since April 2018. He was the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency from January 2017 to April 2018. He has been the U.S. Representative for KS's 4th congressional district from 2011 through 2017. He is a member of the Republican Party. He has also served as a Kansas representative on the Republican National Committee.
On November 18, 2016, he was selected by President-elect Donald Trump to be Trump's nominee for Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. The United States senate confirmed his nomination and he assumed office on January 23, 2017. On March 13, 2018, Trump announced his intention to nominate Pompeo as the new United States Secretary of State, succeeding Rex Tillerson after March 31, 2018. On April 26, 2018, Pompeo was confirmed by the Senate in a 57–42 vote, and was sworn in the same day.
He attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point where he majored in Mechanical Engineering, graduating first in his class in 1986 and serving in the Regular Army as an Armor Branch cavalry officer from 1986 to 1991. He received his J.D. from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review.
United States Representative (2011–2017)
In the 2010 Kansas Republican primary for the 4th District Congressional seat, Pompeo defeated State Senator Jean Schodorf (who received 24%), Wichita businessman Wink Hartman (who received 23%), and small business owner Jim Anderson (who received 13%). In the general election, Pompeo defeated Democratic nominee State Representative Raj Goyle. Pompeo received 59% of the vote (117,171 votes), to 36% for Goyle (71,866).
Pompeo has been on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and Committee on Energy and Commerce, and the following 3 subcommittees: the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade, the Subcommittee on Energy and Power, and the Subcommittee on the CIA. He is also on the House Select Committee on the Events Surrounding the 2012 Terrorist Attack in Benghazi.
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (2017–2018)
United States Secretary of State (since 2018)
In May 2018, Donald Trump greeted three American detainees that were released by Kim Jong-Un while Pompeo brought them back to the United States from North Korea. The next day, Trump announced on Twitter that he will meet Kim on June 12, 2018 in Singapore for peace talks.
Pompeo is married to Susan Pompeo. They have one child together. They live in Wichita, Kansas.
- Tate, Curtis (January 10, 2017). "Mike Pompeo: Just a regular guy among Trump nominees worth millions, billions". The McClatchy Company. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article125710979.html.
- Gerstein, Josh (January 12, 2017). "Who is Mike Pompeo". Politico. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/who-is-mike-pompeo-233518.
- Sebastian, Michael (January 23, 2017). "12 Facts About Mike Pompeo, Trump's CIA Director". Cosmopolitan. http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a8306049/mike-pompeo-trump-cia-director/.
- Office of the President Elect and of the Vice President Elect (2016-11-18). "President-Elect Donald J. Trump Selects U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions for Attorney General, Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn as Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs and U.S. Rep. Mike Pompeo as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency". Press release. https://www.greatagain.gov/news/president-elect-donald-j-trump-selects-us-senator-jeff-sessions-attorney-general-lt-gen-michael.html. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- "Trump fires Tillerson as secretary of state". March 13, 2018. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43388723.
- Parker, Ashley; Rucker, Philip (2018-03-13). "Trump ousts Tillerson, will replace him as secretary of state with CIA chief Pompeo" (in en-US). Washington Post. . https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-ousts-tillerson-will-replace-him-as-secretary-of-state-with-cia-chief-pompeo/2018/03/13/30f34eea-26ba-11e8-b79d-f3d931db7f68_story.html. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "Mike Pompeo confirmed as secretary of state, in a move Republicans hope will rebuild morale at the State Department" (in en). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/04/26/mike-pompeo-confirmed-as-secretary-of-state-in-a-move-republicans-hope-will-rebuild-morale-at-the-state-department/.
- Harris, Gardiner; Kaplan, Thomas (April 26, 2018). "Mike Pompeo, Confirmed as Secretary of State, Plans to Quickly Head to Europe" (in en-US). The New York Times. . https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/politics/mike-pompeo-secretary-of-state.html. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- (in en) Mike Pompeo confirmed as secretary of state. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-pompeo-confirmed-as-secretary-of-state/. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Jarlson, Gary (May 31, 1986). Santa Ana Cadet Wins Top West Point Honor. http://articles.latimes.com/1986-05-31/local/me-8260_1_west-point. Retrieved December 5, 2016.
- Lee, Teresa (October 20, 2010). "Pompeo Visits Mother's Childhood Home". The Wellington Daily News. http://www.wellingtondailynews.com/article/20101020/NEWS/310209896. Retrieved December 5, 2016.
- "Congressman Mike Pompeo". http://pompeo.house.gov. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- Lefler, Dion (2010-07-29). "Pompeo hopes varied background gives him edge". Wichita Eagle. http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/23/1415735/pompeo-hopes-varied-background.html. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Lefler, Dion; Ron Sylvester (2010-08-03). "Pompeo, Goyle to Meet in 4th District race". Wichita Eagle. http://www.kansas.com/2010/08/03/1431486/hard-fought-battle-nears-end-in.html. Retrieved 2010-08-04. "Republican National Committeeman Mike Pompeo survived a bruising GOP primary and Rep. Raj Goyle of Wichita steamrolled his Democratic opponent to set up the general election battle in the Kansas 4th Congressional District.".
- "House Results Map". The New York Times. http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/results/house. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- Lowry, Bryan (2014-05-09). "Rep. Mike Pompeo appointed to Benghazi investigation committee". Kansas.com. http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article1142515.html. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "President-Elect Donald J. Trump Selects U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions for Attorney General, Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn as Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs and U.S. Rep. Mike Pompeo as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency". https://www.greatagain.gov/news/president-elect-donald-j-trump-selects-us-senator-jeff-sessions-attorney-general-lt-gen-michael.html. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- Harris, Shane; Leonnig, Carol; Jaffe, Greg; Nakamura, David (April 17, 2018). "CIA Director Pompeo met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un over Easter weekend". The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/us-china-trade-dispute-looms-over-trump-summit-with-japans-abe/2018/04/17/2c94cb02-424f-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Fox, Lauren; Walsh, Deirdre; Koran, Laura (April 26, 2018). "Mike Pompeo sworn in as Trump's second secretary of state". CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/politics/mike-pompeo-senate-confirmation-vote-richard-grenell/index.html. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- Secretary of State biography
- CIA Director biography
- Mike Pompeo at the Open Directory Project
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Maplight Campaign Contributions