kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
A natural disaster is the consequence of the combination of a natural hazard (a physical event like a volcanic eruption, typhoon, tropical cyclone, tornado an earthquake, a landslide or a tsunami) and human activities.
Only if humans are there where the hazard happens and if they have no sufficient emergency management, there will be human losses. Therefore one can say: "disasters occur when hazards meet vulnerability". A natural hazard will therefore have no natural disaster as a result in areas without vulnerability, that means if for example a strong earthquake is in uninhabited areas.
International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is established to do help at emergency including natural disaster by Geneva Conventions, and Article 11 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities also defines such help by international law both humanitarian and human rights.
- B. Wisner, P. Blaikie, T. Cannon, and I. Davis (2004). At Risk - Natural hazards, people's vulnerability and disasters. Wiltshire: Routledge. .
- "Effects of natural disasters on the economy". Weather Economy. http://www.weathereconomy.com/natural.html. Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "Disaster News Network". http://www.disasternews.net/. Retrieved 2006-11-05. US news site focused on disaster-related news.
- "EM-DAT International Disaster Database". http://www.em-dat.net. Retrieved 2006-11-05. Includes country profiles, disaster profiles and a disaster list.
- "Natural Hazard Information from the Coastal Ocean Institute". Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. http://www.whoi.edu/institutes/coi/topicIndex.do?o=read&id=113. Retrieved 2006-11-05. Particularly including articles on tsunamis, hurricanes and other storms.
- "ProjectArcix: Global Disaster Information Portal". http://www.projectarcix.com. Overviews, consequences, government and citizen responses, and case studies of multiple natural disasters
- "Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System". European Commission and United Nations website initiative. http://www.gdacs.org.
- "Modeling Multi-Hazard Disaster Reduction Strategies with Computer-Aided Morphological Analysis". Swedish Morphological Society. http://www.swemorph.com/pdf/multi.pdf.
- "What the Development Programme of the United Nations (UN) does to reduce the human risks linked to Natural Disasters". United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). http://www.undp.org/bcpr/.
- "Pioneering Disaster Risk Index (DRI) Tool". United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). http://gridca.grid.unep.ch/undp/. Provides key information on all countries in the world.
- "Collins Fragile Earth photographs". http://www.collins.co.uk/fragileearth. Photographic evidence of the effects of natural disaster on the planet
- CDC’s National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities